I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee cork grips?
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 11:05PM

Just curious, to those who use a lot of Tennessee grips for spinning rods, how do you like to mount the reel to the grip. I have always used double faced tape on the inside of the reel seat that mounts flush on the cork, and then either the aluminum or graphite rings. Some fellows like using black electrical tape but what other tape or options might work well and leave a clean look. Thanks for your suggestions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee cork grips?
Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:23AM

Rob, the two rods I use the most have Tenn. grips. The slide rings had to dig in too much for my taste in order to hold well. I also found them to be a little awkward feeling as I gripped the reel and when they would shift a bit I would notice it. A tournament fisherman (Walleye) from South Dakota was at a sport show and had his two main rods. One had a Tenn. grip with no slide rings. I asked him how he secured it. He told me he used 1/2" waterproof adhesive tape. It's used a lot for medical tape. I ended up cutting the slide rings off my rods and have been using the adhesive tape ever since. A couple of my fishing buddies give me nothing but #@%*&^(*^$#!? for using it. They tell me it looks a 'skinny old ankle' that has been taped up. It works well; is light and feels very smooth. Just the fact that it bugs them is enough to make me keep using it plus it's on a SCV and is head and shoulders better than their Wally World rods. Black electrician tape can get real hot in the sun and can get sticky and loose on the end. The waterproof adhesive does not. You will have to experiment a little as to how many / long you want your wraps. I have evolved to the least amount possible without it coming loose. If the white color is not to your liking, I suppose you could put a permanent marker of your choice on it. Anyway. this has been fine for me. Good fishing! Steve

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.brambles.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 01:34AM

I use 40mm bands of quikgrip shrunk over the reel foot. I leave the reels on the rod mostly and just slice it of if I need to take the reel off. If you keep a supply of bands of quikgrip in the right diameter for you grips it becomes a quick and secure option. This can be sourced from Merrick and Mudhole

Posted by: Bill Tune (68.153.106.---)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:17PM

Put one wrap of strapping tape on each reel foot then overwrap with black tape. Your reel will NEVER move. The strapping tape is clear with strands of fiber in it and can be found most any place like an office supply. I use the 1 inch size.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:37PM

My favorite rods and most of the ones I build are tennessee handles. Both cork and graphite tubing. We use any one of three different kinds of tape... for one I won't be removing often we use Scotch - 3M brand model Super 33+ electrical tape. Use any other tape and the ends will get sticky and will come undone. This stuff works best slightly stretched while applying nad not cold but warmed in your pocket, etc. This tape doesn't leave a gummy residue like cheaper tape will either. My friend caught and landed a 31.4 pound flathead cat last spring on a tenn. handle with just this tape and his hand holding the reel in place. I did the same with a 12.3 pound walleye last spring as well. Both fish released on the spot after a few photos and weighing by-the-way. There is really no need for rings on an average freshwater spinning rod (guess musky or sturgeon sticks might be different!).

The other types of tape we prefer are what is called Seal Wrap Repair Tape by SealWrap Systems or Tommy Tape (www.tommytape.com or 1-888-TOM-TAPE). These tapes are both types of self - vulcanizing (self-fusing) rubber material. You cut off an appropriate length times two - stretch it a bit and wrap tightly around the reel feet - slightly ahead of the foot, on the cork, and then up onto the foot in layers for a smooth transition and then withthe second piece slightly behind the back up onto the back foot for the same effect. The rubber tape molds into itself and like the old vulcanizing tire patches - the two or more layers form into one solid sheet - they fuse. With this you can cut the front or back end from the reel feet and reuse the remaining end when ready to remount your reel... just slide the foot back under the one you've left until it is where you want it and wrap the end you had cut off with new tape (may need to moisten it slightly to get it to where you want it settled.) This stuff has a tacky texture to it so it is grippy... the Tommy Tape has a silicone base to it but I have never had it bother my hands in any way. One other advantage of the Tommy Tape is it is available in a variety of colors so you can match your guide wraps etc... the Seal Wrap I have only found in black.

If the spinning reel becomes slightly shifted to a side with these rubber tapes you can pull it slightly in the opposite direction and get it back to center. Found these at the local hardware store in the small town I live in so you should be able to find it or something similar near you.

Best of luck - your results may vary - but these do the trick for me,
Chuck Ungs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2006 11:14PM by Chuck Ungs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster