I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing Handle
Posted by: Jon Greene (---.rev.sherbtel.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:33PM

I have a St. Croix Premier spinning rod, and before I build my first rod, I want to modify this one. Can I remove the existing factory handle and replace it with a split rear handle? If so, how do I go about removing the old handle? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing Handle
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 05:10PM

You can go about it several ways but in order to replace it with a split rear handle you'll have to probably refinish the blank where the old handle resided.

I think what I would do, is turn the current one-piece rear grip down into two pieces, just like you would for the split grip you desire. When you get close to the blank surface you'll want to take care not to damage the blank itself. It's likely that there will be all sorts of epoxy there and it will require some chipping and flaking with a spatula or pocket knife to get it all off and clean again. Even so, the surface of the blank will likely be very marred. So at that point you can refinish or overwrap with thread.

If you want to remove the entire rear handle, the process is pretty much the same. Removing items that have been epoxied on can be a bear. They were installed in such a way that they aren't supposed to come off, and removing them can be a pain.

Posted by: Jon Greene (---.rev.sherbtel.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:05PM

Thanks a lot. I think I might give it a try. I will then just refinish it like you said, I'll let you know. Jon

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 11:31PM

Ther's a nice tutorial at www.georgescustomrods.com in his articles section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster