I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BEWARE Recoil Guides differ from others when referencing size
Posted by: tom danielso (---.ckelectronics.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:34PM

I had ordered a set of Recoil guides from @#$%& at a really good price. Now the plot thickens.
we have discussed in an earlier post size is determined by measuing the inside diameter of the frame and the unit of measure is millimeters. For a Fugi by their table (thanks Cliff) would have about a 20mm I.D. for a #20 guide and so forth.
When I measured the guide I bought off of @#$%& my #20 measured 14mm I.D.
I emailed the seller and he said that the #20 was packaged as #20 in the Rec packaging.
This morning I called Rec Components and asked them to explain. They made some reference to competitors using the I.D. as we all agree upon but Rec doesnt use that as their standard. For example a Rec #20 should measure .549" or 14mm, a #25 will mesure .724" or 18.4mm and #30 is .9005 or 22.98mm (Inside diameter).
What lead to this was the excellent price on @#$%& and my need for a butt guide that was aobut 1/2 the diameter of my spinning reel spool (40mm), making my need for a butt guide of about 20mm. When you look at the price of Rec guides a #20 (too small its a 14mmm id) its listed at 5.27 +5.28 (all Rec guides start at $5.27) and are +/- up to $5.28 or ($10.55) plus $9.00 S/H making one guide over $19.00. I was going to order last night but thought I'd wait. After talking to them this morning I realized I almost ordered what I had already bought twice on @#$%& (there was a set of 8 guides for $18.00 plus s/h I ordered a second set thinking I had made a mistake and needed a few more of the smaller ones anyway. Before this is all done I will have $72.00 invested in guides. AHHHHHHHHHHH. I am not blaming The @#$%& guy and Im not blaming Rec but be aware if you see Rec guides they may not be what you think they are if you are referencing the Fugi Tables. Im trying to get a chart from Rec that discribes what is what.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BEWARE Recoil Guides differ from others when referencing size
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 02:04PM

I don't think that a Fuji 20 would have a 20mm ID as the guide is measured from the inside of the FRAME and not the ceramic insert. Due to different ceramic insert thicknesses, the ID of rings on a #20 guide can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

A perfect reason to buy your supplies from a real component supplier (vendors on the left) as they will be glad to take the time to discuss what you need, answer any questions that you might have and help make sure that you get what you need!
Buying on @#$%& can often get you a "pig in a poke"! Penny wise/pound foolish.

Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:15PM

That's one reason I bought a set of everything recoil and put them in my boxes for references only. I just size by height, etc. depending on the rod and now order what I need with no mistakes, and no extras needed except for tip tops if the blank and guides are ordered together. I've done that with other style guides also. Anyone measured the fly guides to see if they are really the right sizes in reference to other snakes or singlefoots?
May have to do that when I get home.

Date: February 13, 2006 03:23PM

Spencer, Great idea, Thanks!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:53PM

I wouldn't think anyone would want to reference the Fuji tables when trying to determine sizes for REC guides.

Ceramic guides are generally measured from outside to outside of the ceramic ring. Non-ceramic guides are measured outside to outside of the metal ring/frame.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:21PM

Rec guides are sized inside.
Fugi guides are sized outside the insert and inside the insert and the sizes vary in Fgi 2-3mm inside diameter of the insert..
A #20 Rec is 14mm inside dia. (no insert)
A #20 Fugi Frame will be about 18mm outside the insert but inside diameter of the insert (for LL and L) is 13.7-13.9 very close to Rec.
I was thinking when a #20 guide was specified it would be 20mm.
The reason all this focus on "#20 guide and 20mm dia" is because I was trying to determine what size butt guide to use. My spinning reel spool is 40mm so from looking in the search archives I saw that the butt guide should be about 1/2 the spool dia. hence a 40mm spool would dictate about (key word is about) a 20mm guide which would not be a #20 guide:
Rec #25 guide is 18.4mm "hole" or inside diameter, a little under 20mm
Rec #30 is 23mm "hole or inside diameter, a little over 20mm
Fugi has 5-6 classes U, LL,L,H,F larger to smaller with a range of 2-3mm very similiar insert ID and Rec coil ID. When choosing a rec guide a reference to the fugi guide would be o.k. I havent seen a rec chart but have ask them for one .
Lesson learned: Guide # does not indicate hole "Bore" size.
Is the reference to butt guide at 1/2 spool size mean the guides bore size should be 1/2 spool dia?
Spencer did I understand you to say you have one of each of the rec guides ? when you have some time on your hands would you measure their i.d. (spinning guides?)

Date: February 13, 2006 09:48PM

Tom,

Don't drive yourself nuts with this!!! Most use a guide number about half the size of the spool,(40 mm spool - #20 guide) and some don't!! The important thing is how it looks on layout and static test. If it works, go for it! As someone once said "It ain't Rocket Science, it's Rod Building"

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster