I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SF Ceramic Insert Fly Guide Sizing
Posted by: Todd Theodore (69.4.4.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 12:35PM

I'm curious as to how you all would size the single foot ceramic insert fly guides for:

8 1/2' & 9' - 4 wt - 6 wt

Also, going up in weight to maybe a 8-10wt., do we just increase one more stripper but basically stay with the same sf sizes?

Thanks,

Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SF Ceramic Insert Fly Guide Sizing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:03PM

On 4 to 6 weight rods expected to be fished with the usual DT or WF lines, I normally do something like this:

High frame 12 and 10, then single foot low frame #6's on out.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:06PM

Tom,
Are you using single foot 12 & 10

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2006 01:22PM

No, but you easily could. The ring would be in the same place so the line wouldn't care either way. I normally use double foot guides in those positions only to make the rod a bit more durable as I pull it out from kayaks, cars, tubes, etc. It may be overkill for many people, however.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 02:36PM

On heavier weigth rods those 8 thru 10's you mentioned, I will use 3 three ceramic ringed guides if they all fall on the butt section, I do like three guides on the butt section to fight a fish. The thing is if there are three and you only use two ceramic ringed guides then one larger size 4-6 SF wire guide, or even a SF ceramic fly guide; (3rd butt section guide) this drags the line back down close to the rod right as it transitions up over the sleeve ferrule..then line slap becomes an issue. Loomis had occasion to do this. I picked a GL-3 9'-9" 8wt production rod on a pro-form (because they would let you proform blanks) and it had this blank, needless to say I stripped down the whole blank ,retied it, and added the 3rd butt section ceramic ringed stripper guide and a 3-1/2" fighting but to keep my reel out of ther dirt when grounded

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:15PM

I build a lot of 4 wts., and I generally just use all single-foot fly guides. I start my strippers with 10s or 8s, then go right to 6s all the way out. If it's a rod that's a larger weight (6-8 wt.), I'll use high frame spinning guides for the strippers in sizes 12 and 10, then a 8 or 7, then 6s the rest of the way out. As Tom said, the high frame strippers are nice, whether you use single foot spinning guides or the high-frame double foot guides. The high frame guides seem to help with shooting line.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:35AM

Thanks Guys.
You all are a wealth of wisdom.
Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster