I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building finishes for other uses
Posted by: terry l. miller (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:40PM

I have read posts about using Flex Coat and other finishes for casting plugs. My question is I also make custom writing pens and was wondering about using it as a finish on the pens as well. My concern would be the durability and it getting scratched easily what is your opinions. Any responses will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building finishes for other uses
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 10:45PM

Where are "marble" Putter or "flames" Barkley??

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2006 11:03PM

I don't know the advantage unless the pens had thread wraps (Mike Joyce - Hint, Hint) It would add thickness that standard finishes/polishes wouldn't and I don't think that with constant pressure from oily skin, that it would hold a gloss very long. I think that some of the finishes that I see in catalogs from HUT and others would be much better. Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:50AM

I think it would work and look great. I have custom made wooden lures, finished with Flex Coat that are over 10 years old. They have held up very well and do not show signs of wear or even yellowing. Plus I would not think pens take the abuse of a good fishing rod. Use it, I think you'll be happy.

Rich

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 03:58AM

i agree with rich if you can bung a rod onto a sandy beach or the back of a boat neglect it for years then re-abuse it i dont see why the finish shouldnt hold up
there is a post somewhere on here of a keyring(now they rattle round in pokets!!!!!)
try it and see nothing ventured nothing gained

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 06:58AM

I`ve done pens and cell phones and both hold up well.One pen is over a year old and has been through alot(I`m a line tech at a car dealer)of dirty greasey hands and cleaned with a harsh solvet.I did however cut down the diameter of the pen and do a thread wrap.The phone is just on a roughed up surface.[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:20AM

I cast my encapsulated grips and hozels from Flexcoat, I make key chain charms with it. glue grips on with it . it can be used for lots of things. Jesse

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 13, 2006 09:34AM

If you're making custom pens of wood, antler, acrylics, etc.-there's probably better finishing products out there for that.

That said, I've used rod finish over marbling for cell phones, ink pens (HUNDREDS), fishing reels, light switch covers and other little things. I have one pen in my pocket that I coated a year ago and use in the office all the time (I think I'm on about the 20th refill cartridge in it now) and it looks fine.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:03AM

Putter's marbling work certainly provided a good test for the durability of epoxy rod finishes. I don't see any finish problem on the pen I have carried for more than a year now. I think if the epoxy finish does show abrasion problems most other finishes would also suffer. I'm told that the CA finishes that provide a great glass like finish to pens can have cracking problems if dealt a blow so there seem to be plus and minus characteristic to most finishes used.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:13AM

I've made a few pens using CA and Deft spray lacquer as finishes. I've even used rod bond on occassion to glue the tubes in the wood. The biggest problem with using thread finish on pens is that one coat of something like Flex Coat will be much thicker than even 3-4 coats of lacquer, so you would most likely need to turn the pen undersize a bit to allow for the build up. I have used thread finish to fix what I consider a defective pen part from one manufacturer and it worked great, but so did Sally Hansen Hard As Nails.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:32AM

About 4 months ago, I kind of tossed a big wooden cutting board in the sink while I was reaching for something boiling over on the stove. The corner of the board caught the bottom of the sink just right and punched a really jagged 2" ear in the sink tub! So of course I panicked. $%$%$! My girlfriend wasn't home yet, so I had some time to "fix" it.
First I went for the 91% isopropyl and swabbed the area real good, top and bottom. Then I went for the hair dryer, to get it good and bone dry. Then I went for a fresh new gray scothbrite slice. Then I went for the Flex Coat lite! I coaxed it on, on top and bottom, and totally filled the rip with finish.
4 months later, the finish is yellowed quite a bit but it hasn't leaked a drop or peeled from the edges AT ALL. She did notice eventually though, and I did get an ass chewing...
This is our kitchen sink! Just imagine the daily wear this area takes. Good stuff...

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster