I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

custom cork handels
Posted by: Jim Catrona (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:07PM

Need some help. I have built a few rods over the years, nothing compared to some of the experts on this forum, but basic stuff, diamond wraps, chevrons & feather inlays. I would really like to start shaping/building my own cork handels(always purchased a handel kit). I have been looking thru the search pages the last 2 days & I seem to be getting more confused on every post I attempt to read. I want to purchase a lathe. Now please understand I know nothing about these except they turn & you work the cork into the shape you want it. I have found a number of mini lathes at, in my opinion a fair price (the rand 4 speed mini wood lathe and a mini-hobby wood working lathe by central machinery).I have also researched the equipment section & noticed the home made drill lathes. What do I need to look for in a lathe? Are the drill lathe bases worth trying to construct, will they get the job done? Help a confused novice!! Thanks, Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: custom cork handels
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:26PM

The drill lathes such as the Grizzly Hobby Lathe are actually quite good for simple custom rod handle work. For turning cork and EVA they're excellent and will handle some light duty wood turning as well. This tool represents an excellent value.

Moving up, I would skip the Rand or Harbor Freight type lathes and move on to the Jet/Delta/Frisch type midi lathes. At $300 they are a whale of a tool and would last you many, many years. They'll handle about anything you'd ever want to do with regard to fishing rod handles, grips or reel seat inserts.

If you have the space (they're actually not very large) and the money I would go with one of the midi lathes. If you don't have the space nor the dollars, then the Grizzly will get you started nicely.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:31PM

Jim,

I'm fairly new at using lathes myself but I do know one thing for sure! You won't stop at cork!!! You'll want to get into wood seats, grips sooner or later so you might want to plan ahead. The Jet and Turncrafter Pro [www.rodbuilding.org] from Penn state industries are both very popular with builders and are reasonably priced. I have the TCP and really like it. I would highly recommend the model with the extension bed (for an extra $15, you can't go wrong) [www.pennstateind.com] Before I did anything, I would get a copy of Andy Deat's great DVD on lathes for rodbuilders.. Keep in mind that along with the lathe, you will need chuck, tools, etc.
If you are not going to do any wood , the Grizzley Hobby Lathe is an excellant choice [www.rodbuilding.org] [www.grizzly.com] The lathe is $45 and I would recommend getting their drill for $40 to ensure that it fits. A very nice setup, and no accessories (except for a mandrel) needed, for under $100!! Lightweight and mounted on a board, it can be carried out to the yard and set across two saw horses.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.101.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 11:07PM

Hi Jim,
Check out my website. We have a DVD that will shed light on all your questions regarding Lathe choice and use, including lathe choice, accessories for Rodmaking, and turning grips and reelseats.

[www.lamarfishing.com]

We'll be re-opening the shop after the show in Charlotte and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 10, 2006 07:15AM

Just reviewed Andy's DVD on lathe work. Very nice production. Better than most DIY instructional videos I have seen, as you did a very good job of lighting, framing and editing . Also, seems evident that you practiced the dialog and took several takes and virtually no mis-speak was heard. Quality of the production is just above the norm.

Quality of the information as well was very good. Basic steps and procedures are easily understood, and will save the novice a lot of time in getting to a good finished product. The great majority of your procedures validates my own experience. And I got what I was looking for. A few ideas about improving my own practice.

Certainly this work will be invaluable to the novice just for the good basic procedures and safety info given. The price of the video is but a fraction of the cost of one trip to the doctor for a few stitches. These power tools are absolutely unforgiving of even a bit of a second of mis-step. And even for someone highly experienced, it is always of value to see how others with solid experience actually do the work. I expect that you will indeed sell enough of these DVD's to begin receiving a well earned profit from good value given to the purchasers at all levels of skill.

Congratulations on taking the time to do a very clean production.

Sincerely,

TP Stephens,
dba Doktor Tim's

Date: February 10, 2006 03:26PM

Thanks guys. I have decided on the Grizzly & Andy's DVD.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (67.149.18.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 04:18PM

Jim, You won't go wrong there!!! I still use my Grizzley and you can't beat Andy's DVD, Need any help/questions shoot me an e-mail anytime

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 05:38PM

I will have to agree with everything that has been said. Mike turned me on to the Grizzley Hobby lathe. That lathe and a set of Andy's mandrels and you are set to go. I make all of my cork handles and have not seen any reason to upgrade to a better lathe at this point. The only problem that I first had was finding a drill that would fit in the lathe. I found one at Sears for less than $30. I believe the name of the drill is "Companion". I would go out to my storage shed and check but it is raining very hard right now. You will also need some paraffin to wipe on the mandrels to keep the cork from sticking to the steel. I use Weldbond Universal Adhesive to glue the cork rings. I let the rings set for a couple of days for the glue to dry. After I have sanded the grip, I hold it tight while still on the lathe and just hit the switch on the drill a little to unglue the grip from the lathe. So far I have not had any problems with the grips coming apart while doing that.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 07:55AM

Jim,
It would be a good idea to either purchase the Grizzly drill, or take your lathe along if you're going to purchase a drill independently. I purchased a Grizzly lathe recently and found that the keyless chuck on my corded Craftsman drill didn't fit through the bracket on the lathe. This required that I remove the chuck, insert the drill, and partially thread the chuck back on. It works, but is added effort and time to set up.

Worked really well using one of Andy Dear's mandrels.

Jeff Shafer

Date: February 15, 2006 11:39PM

Want to thank you guy's again for the help. Just received the Grizzley lathe & drill. Looks like this will work just fine. Mike, I'll take you up on the e-mail once I get started as I'm sure there will be questions that I'll have. Once again, great help & advise. Thanks, Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster