I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

powerwrapper ideas
Posted by: steve smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 07:31PM

im building a power wrapper on the cnc machines at work looking for ideas I posted some picks of what I have built so far .looking for some experienced rodbuilders to help me build the best one I can so anything you would like in a rod wrapper let me know I want to build this one to do evrything I might run into as I get more into rodbuilding im especially looking for ideas on the thread carriage like I said I have access to cnc mills and lathes so building it wont be a problem
scetches or pics of your thread carraiges or welcome

thanx Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: powerwrapper ideas
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:01PM

Steve; I sent you an E-Mail and a picture of the carriage I use. If you want more info just E-Mail me.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:42PM

steve by all means send it over the pond mate ill give it a blast can i have it in holographic blue with white stripes a built in worklight (sorta 10w 12volt halogen) above the thread carriage a dust extraction system ( i think its a hoover but i need instructions with it) and a tool rest with an inter changable eva ( or hard sponge ) hand rest

many thanks cheques in the post

allen

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:59PM

I like the large pulley on the headstock and can see that it would give you a nice wrapping speed, but I wonder about the back pressure when you attempt to turn the rod by hand. How bad is it?

I've always thought that most guys would find power wrapping easier if the headstock pulley was larger and they didn't have to worry so much about regulating the faster speeds most of the commercial units turn at.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:02PM

where did you get the base? looks interesting

Posted by: steve smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:08PM

I made the large pulley like you said to cut down on the speed the motor turns at 7000 rpm the base is extruded aluminum at work they use it to make airflow stands to check air pressure on aircaft parts you can buy it buts its expensive they had a couple of pieces that where scrap that I got you can also find it at scrap yards.
steve

Posted by: Roger (192.61.231.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 07:38PM

Steve,
I have built several power wrappers this summer.
My main goal was to get a wrapper with super speed control.
Over the years, I have built 6 or 8 wrappers with different power systems.
I started with a simple sewing machine motor with a small drive pully driving a larger driven pully to get the 5000 rpm speed down to a more managable level.

The next versions, used a double pulley system. i.e. the motor with a small drive pulley drinving a large driven pulley on the end of a jack shaft with a small pulley on the opposite end. This small pulley then drove a large pulley on the head stock for the rod holding chuck.

Also, my first rod chucks were crude pvc and rubber holders which functioned but were crude.
Then, I went to a flex coat three jaw chuck which was better but not precision.
I now use the machinest chucks from either Penn State or Taig. These are wonderful chucks and go a great job of holding the rod.

The next series of rod turning motors that I used were Dayton right angle drive gear motors. These worked very very well. I found that the 300 rpm final output drive was about perfect. I did build one with a 170 rpm output and then used two pulleys to get the head stock drive up to the nice 300 rpm, which is about as one can handle a spinning rod, while doing the long butt wraps.

The one issue that I had with the Dayton gear motor drives was noise. Because these were right angle drives, using a worm gear, the gear case was quite noisy. Very distracting in a nice peaceful workshop.

So, I continued on for the perfect system.

The last two motors that I have built are nearly perfect. Both of them use a Taig head stock and a Taig lathe chuck. Very fine machining and very precise.
The drive system is a 16:1 pittman DC gear motor. These motors normally sell for about $200 when new, but was able to pick them up on the internet for about $10.
These are 24 volt dc gear motors. The output of these motors are about 300 rpm, when driven by 24 volts dc. I used a one to one pulley system to connect the power of the dc gear motor to the lathe headstock.
I then made an adjustable voltage dc power supply to power the motor. It is plugged into 110 volts ac, and through a transformer and dc power control board is dropped to a variable voltage that goes from 0 to 30 volts.

I found a couple of different foot pedals to control the voltage. In one case, I found a musicians autio amp controller foot pedal that I was able to use, after changing out the potentiometer in the pedal to be equal to 5,000 ohms.

The 2nd pair of controllers that I picked up were commercial Line Master foot pedals that were being sold on the internet by an out of business golf cart manufacturer. These pedals normally retailed for about $250 each and I was able to get them for about $50 each.

Also, in all of these controllers, I have designed in and constructed a reversing switch. I keep the foot pedal on the floor, for foot control; but the control box is on the table near the winding station. I can reverse the direction of wind at the flick of a switch to correct any winding mistakes. Then, a 2nd flip of the switch and I am back in the forward direction. These new controller motors are nearly 100% quiet. The real advantage of these dc gear motors is that they have tremendous torque and virtually perfect speed control from 0 rpm to 300 rpm. So, you can press the pedal lightly and get the rod to barely crawl around as is needed for the first couple of wraps. Then, as you get further into the wrap, you can increase speed as little or as much as you want up to the maximum of 300 rpm, which quickly fills the long butt wraps of most rods.

If you want any further information, drop me an e-mail at hflier@comcast.net

Take care
REW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster