I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for Dan Craft 1wt
Posted by: Josh England (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 12:14PM

Other than Recoil, what guides do you guys think would work with a 1wt. Thanks Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for Dan Craft 1wt
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (67.72.98.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 12:29PM

i think small snakes or single foot wire guides would be fine. i happen to have used single foot recoils on mine and it performs so sweet it makes me cry.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: February 09, 2006 12:32PM

I'd go with regular single foots in size 1 or even 1/0 if those can be found.

Then the new Fuji LSG's in sizes smaller than #5 might be an option too. I wonder why they don't have those as TLSG's.?

As a tip top I might concider American Tackle's zirconia fly tops. They are roughly half the weight of normal chrome tip tops and almost as light as Recoil tip tops according to my weighings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2006 12:36PM by Mikko Stenberg.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 12:49PM

I used Forecast single foot wire guides on my 1 wt and 2 wt. They come in "HSF" Stainless wire w/ hard chrome plating or "TCSF" Stainless wire w/ PVD TiCh plating, both come in sizes 2/0 and 1/0 up to to size 6. Dan Craft is a dealer and can get them for you.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: February 09, 2006 01:01PM

With a rod this light, I think small, small, small; light, light, light. Single foot wire guides all the way (& a cork reel seat). I like ceramic guides alot, but for a rod like this...lighter is better & less is more. You're not looking to boom out 80 foot casts or tangle with steelhead here, so ceramic advantages are negated. Also, I would be concerned about possible excess weight at the tip of the rod that ceramics might add.

My 2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 09, 2006 01:36PM

I'm developing a new line of lead-framed oversize guides that could be perfect for that rod. But if you want to play it safe, go with small and light. SF wire or recoil.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 02:16PM

If not the RECs, another wire single foot. I had ceramics on mine but replace them with RECs. Don

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 02:25PM

Wouldn't it be great if singlefoot RECoils came in sized 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0? But because they don't, I use their regular lightwire snakes in those sizes, with a minimal varnish finish.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Josh England (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 02:34PM

Man, you guys are fast. thanks.
One other question. I am not worried about the packablity of the rod. with that i mind would you go with the 3pc, or the 2pc? Thanks

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 04:41PM

mine is the three piece. that is how i would go. you never know when you will want a short package. the rod is a beautiful little performer and roll casts great. you will love this rod. by the way mine is the 6' 10".

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.173.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:40PM

I used Recoils (sf), and a Recoil top on the one I did for myself . I have the 3pc 6' 10"(SIG III I think) also and love it ! John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:02PM

The 7'0" 2pc 1wt is much more powerful than the 6'10" 3pc 1wt. They both will cast a WF1F but the 7'0" will cast a 2 and 3 also.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:36PM

The blank I have is a 6'10" 5 pc Dan Craft 1wt and since I have a fetish for Titanium I used a TATSG 8 mm stripper and mostly 5 mm Fuji concept SiC titaniums the rest of the way up, with a Fuji titanium SiC tip top to top it off. Very nice guides with the 5 mm ones weighing in at 1.4 grains or about .5 grains more than the Recoil #1sf. They all are probably good choices but I try to use ceramics whenever I can and the Fuji titaniums are a very sweet looking guide on this tiny blank.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 10, 2006 03:45AM

As far as snake guides go,the Snake Brand snakes are available in rather small sizes and they go very nicely on light fly rods.I used them on my 0wt SLT and was quite pleased with them.They are the only guides I've used that truly don't require any real guide prep and they are all perfect in size and shape(many of the Recoil guides I have,both single foot and snake,have uneven leg lengths).Of course the Recoil snakes are the lightest out there and would go great on a 1wt too.

For single foot guides,the Pac Bay ones are nice,as are the Recoils(even though they only go down to size 1,they are still lighter than regular wire guides,so they will work fine on a 1wt and they line up with the Recoil tip top well)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2006 03:47AM by Tony Dowson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster