I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

low rpm motors
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:38AM

Anybody know of a source for low rpm motors? I'm looking for something around 4-6 rpms.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: low rpm motors
Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 09:57AM

I get mine at American Science and Surplus. They have retail stores here in the Chicago area, and they also have an extensive online catalog. Very cool place.

www.sciplus.com

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: February 09, 2006 12:56PM

[www.cabelas.com]

(Flex Coat finishing rod motor on sale for $40- a steal)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 02:01PM

Tom,
Just a heads up! Your post will probably be automatically deleted as site rules (above, in red) require that full names (first & last) be used.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2006 03:59PM

Custom Tackle Supply and FishSticks4U both have such motors for about $20. I'm not sure of the RPM but I think they have both 18 and 6 rpm units.

Posted by: Tom Nair (206.163.1.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:12PM

Has anyone tried to hook up a ac adapter to the flex coat unit at Cabelas. Thats a great price but I don't like using things that run on batteries. Tom

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 05:35PM

Steve, be sure to check on the shaft diameter of any motor you purchase - to be sure it'll fit what ever you want to put it on. Stan

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: February 09, 2006 08:03PM

You might want to peruse this site:
[www.herbach.com]

Jay

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:00PM

I would recommend you be sure to get a reversible-continuous duty motor. (Lake Pac-Bay has on their rod wrapper). You can save yourself some money if you build the setup yourself! Send me an email and tell you of some other sources.

Jay-That Herbach site has the biggest selection I have seen. They are slightly more expensive but they also have more torque generally speaking. I've been looking for a 1 rpm for a long time for marbleing.

Ed Smith

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.40.---)
Date: February 09, 2006 10:06PM

Try www.allelectronics.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: February 10, 2006 12:00PM

I'm in the process of trying to get a few different setups fabricated using motors from the Herbach site. The reason is that I've been through 'several' of the reversible motors you see on the various rodbuilding supply sites. I find that the clutches in those reversible motors wear out fairly rapidly. This could be that I do a good number of saltwater rods...many of which have fairly heavy guides on them. A set of SHD AFTCOs will wear out one of those motors pretty quick. In my situation I MUST use a drying motor. I own/manage a small restaurant and can't hand turn every rod that I do. Many times I epoxy in the morning, put in the dryer, and go to work. I may come home mid-afternoon and do another coat of epoxy, put in the dryer, and go back to work. On a big rod a third coat of epoxy may be necessary as I usually do thin coats to achieve a level finish. I sometimes do a coat late at night, put in the dryer, and go to bed. It's a real pain to come in and see those big wind-on guides sitting upside down in the dryer with epoxy all over them. Those little motors just don't do it for me...although they do work pretty good for the smaller rods I build.

At $5-$10 a piece, the motors I've found on the Herbach site seem reasonable. Plus I like the high torque and single direction rotation. I'll be experimenting with a 40 rpm for applying finish and some 3 rpm motors for drying. We'll see...might be a wast of $30 (about what I'll have in one 40rpm & 2-3rpm's plus materials to get them mounted)

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster