I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long time crossing "Alconite" bridge "guide" of sighs
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 09:56AM

In the whole scheme, and practice, of this Alconite Concept Guiding therory; Has Fuji's specialized BU/CU-NAG BRIDGE guide become a vistigial part of this concept where spinning rods are concerned? I find and like running BL/CL-YAG's in sizes 25,16,12, 8 then go directly to BL/CL-LAG's in size 8, 7, then 6's out to a size 6 tip. The 8 -YAG to 8 -LAG seem to transition smoothly without requiring the BU/CU-NAG Bridge guide. Now I can adjust, if prudent, the high frame guide run, incorporating sz. 20 and 10 into the decending -YAG mix to lengthen it in order to hit my choke/intersecting guide in upsweeping stride.... Am I missing something or does this bulbous BU/CU-NAG Transitional Bridge guide not only look ackward in comparison to the style of guides bookending it, but is also basicly unnecessary? or are the BU/CU-NAG's meant to only bridge the double footed BL/CL-NAG to BL/CL-LAG which they closely resemble and share a similar MFG designation? ie..BU/CU-NAG : BL/CL-NAG...The Prefix BL/CL in the above thread indicates Fuji's offering of frame colors: BL=Black frame / CL=Chrome frame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long time crossing "Alconite" bridge "guide" of sighs
Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:10AM

Wow I commend you for the Robin Trower reference! Bridge of Sighs is a great album!

And no I don't think you need to use the bridge guide if the others are spaced and sized appropriately.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:11AM

Chris,

I agree!!! I think the "bridge" guide definately looks weird and out of place. I don't see the purpose of it at all (maybe someone can enlighten us) and never use one.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:21AM

Transitioning guides and transitioning line are two different things. Toss the bridge guides, they are neither necessary nor helpful. If anything, they only upset the straight line path you're trying to achieve.

Guide makers offer far too many sizes of guides. Most of them are just not needed. I fear the day when makers introduce size 11's, 15's, 18's etc., - many guys will feel the need to use them just because they exist.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:41AM

Robin Trower ~ 1975? NYC, Madison Square Garden...
If am still here, I guess I survived.
Pioneer 626X - 30W-RMS + ADVENT Loudspeakers
Open the windows and play air guitar in the courtyard.
Fly in the window when the security cops come
... and bang, TURN IT DOWN!

FUJI Concept J-Series: B/C = Black or Chrome. A = Alconite ring. G = Guide.
B/C_YAG: Y-frame, Single-Foot, 2-leg
B/C_LNAG: Casting frame, Double-Foot, 3-leg
B/C_UNAG: U-frame, Single-Foot, 2-leg
B/C_LAG: L-frame, FLY Guide, Single-Foot, 1-Leg

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a BUNAG or CUNAG on a rod either. Lots of CLNAG, and many more BLVLG or CLVLG (Hardloy ring, Vee-frame, SF, 2-Leg) or B/C-NLG (Hardloy ring, casting frame, DF, 3-Leg).

B/C_UNAG: U-frame, Single-Foot, 2-leg ... PASSE

Yes, VESTIGIAL is an even better description. In fact, I think these U-frames died "in-utero", ... or never really made it into orbit in the custom rod market, not in my area anyway.

"The EAGLE has LANDED, ... " ... Robin Trower - Day Of The Eagle

"[Yeah], you really got me now,
you got me so I don't know what I'm doing.
... You got me so I can't sleep at night, ..."

... "Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end, ..."

... "Is that all there is? ... is that all there is, ...?"

-Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 12:09PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: February 08, 2006 12:01PM

I can see this "U" framed Alconite sz 8 -NAG guide utilized as a weight saving addition to fly rods as the guide, next up from the Stripper, knowing full well there is some controversy in calling this 2nd ceramic ringed guide a stripper; not opening that can of worms. I Almost wish they made this -UNAG single foot "U" guide in a sz. 12 so I could use it as a stripper to save weight, then the flared support legs, might help gather/direct/deflect the slack shooting flyline in as it initially runs onto the rod and being wider somewhat harder for a loose loop to snare this guiding protrusion.
"Takers get the hard end, Givers sing the blues"

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:22PM

For future reference:
B = black
C = Chrome

UN = single foot 2 legs
L = Single foot

A = Alconite
S = SIC

G = Guide
T = tip.

It was difficult reading the post since you broke up BU-NAG. You cna just say the UN's or L's. imo.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 12:29PM

Chris, I use on my spinning rods, sizes 25,16,10, 8fly, 7 fly, on to 6 flys, and 6 tip. They work exceptionally well for me, no noise, and no problems. I do the same no matter what guide brands I use, alconites, forecast, Amtak, Pac Bay. I gave up on the concept system because of the reels, they all seem to angle differently, and the choke guides never seem to end up where they should be. I can get good line taming on this guide type of setup, no matter the size of the spools, and what is to say that you or your customer will change the reel, and everthing is out of whack. I have bridge guides in my box, I just don't know what for? Just my two bits on the matter.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (209.161.72.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:06PM

Wow! You have some book learnin' in your brain. LOL. Couldn't find '"vistigial" in the dictonary. The correct spelling of awkward is awkward. Anyhow, being a newbie, as they say, what in the heck is a bridge guide and what was your question? I'm thinking I could learn something, but I'm not sure what! Robin Trower! There's a name I haven't heard for awhile. Isn't he a 70s dude?

Posted by: Anonymous User (12.13.141.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:14PM

The original "Bridge of Sighs" is located between the Doge's palace in Venice and the adjacent prison. Saw it on a tour in 1992. You have to go to the San Marco square in Venice, Italy to find it. Like the reference, however arcane.

Doug Weber

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:29PM

Chris- dump all the Fuji literature on the concept sysrem and read the article in the library here on this site to see how to set up a much "better" concept system. It's easier and works tons better!

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:29PM

Chris- dump all the Fuji literature on the concept sysrem and read the article in the library here on this site to see how to set up a much "better" concept system. It's easier and works tons better!

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 02:47PM

Well Shawn, I've made several comparisons between Fuji's recomended spacing and the concept method from the library and I don't see any significant difference. It must be my poor casting technique that prevents me from being able to cast further with the library method over Fuji's. And since the Fuji illiustrations of more lightweight guides setting the hook and fighting fish better are ingrained in my mind, I feel I will be casting better whether I really am or not !!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 03:05PM

What an odd lot builders are! I wonder what other site includes:

Vistigial
Prudent
Bulbous
in-utero
Quotes from Robin Trower
cna - Spelling from the Queens
people who have spent time in Venice

All the above when considering where to place a funny piece of wire on a limber stick.

When considering that the task at hand is sniffing glue and twisting twine it really is an amazing webb site!

Gon Fishn

Date: February 08, 2006 03:18PM

I take all the info in given here, there, and everywhere, extrapolate and adjust accordingly. I just used both frame color designations because they both come with this "U" bridge guide. I should have just used some generalities. I'm not locked into any particular guiding method persay..I steal from all. "Vestigal" is the correct spelling as indicated on the spelling-bee site, but I'm not logged onto that. Thank You for those who can bear with the inaccuracies of ignorance and still get the gist. I still like to use a size 8 to 8 when going from one guide style to the other as the 8 LAG reaches up a bit more and to excentuate this I often under warp just this one guide (taking the place of tags or a false underwrap) further heightening this guide .006" off the blank. Still think Fuji's "U"-NAG style bridge guide is best used and designed to follow the double foot BLNAG's but lots of things get drawn up on paper that are implimented differently in real life.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:51PM

Those guide sets might look good in combination with each other, but they will not provide a straight line path. There is rarely any need to "bridge" between two guides - the line doesn't need it.

The Fuji recommended spacings are like all other generic spacing charts - they do not take into account your particular reel, line, handle, etc. Sure it'll work, but you can do better.

For reference, sight down through your butt guide to the choke/intersect guide. Where the rings in-between fall? Each one should perfectly and concentrically frame the one preceeding it. With many of the Fuji spacings, you have a roller coaster where the line cannot travel straight but most move up and down as it changes direction slightly at each guide.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 09:21PM

I've used the alconite bridge guides on fly rods. There's no real advantage to them over the fly type. They do look kinda' interesting (custom?). Most of the time, they look kinda' silly to me. I used them because I was building 4 or 5 fly rods at a time, all with alconites. I got in a jam and didn't have the right sized stripping guides in the other guide style, so I used the bridge guides. They've done great for a really long time now, and under nearly constant use. So, they are good functional guides for certain applications. Given the choice though, I just use the regular single foot fly guides.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 09, 2006 07:57AM

Hi Steve! I was only kidding about the spelling and the message, although it is spelled "VESTIGIAL." I wasn't being smart, hopefully, a bit humorous. I'm not very smart, especially when it comes to building rods. Is there such a thing as a bridge guide or not? I'm still not sure about that thread. Maybe it is the fumes getting to my brain.
Respectfully yours,
Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster