I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick
Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:46PM

I wonder if Fenwick helped or hurt it's overall business by not selling blanks to custom rod builders? Do they sell more factory rods because of it? Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick
Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:49PM

One thing for sure, they used to be a big player in the fly rod market and now they are almost non-existant.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:04PM

FENWICK WEBSITE 2003
[www.fenwickfishing.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 02:06PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:21PM

That's not why they stopped selling blanks. When Fenwick was purchased by OTG in the early 90's, blanks sales only made up about 3% of their total sales figures. They said they couldn't justify continuing the blank program unless those sales were closer to 7% to 10%. They didn't want to bother with increased marketing and advertising to beef up those sales so they just dumped the blank program. Most companies that sell blanks and finished rods only do a small portion of their business in blanks. With a company as huge as OTG, 3% of the Fenwick portion just wan't enough to bother with.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:58PM

If blanks are such a small part of the overall picture, it might not make any difference to compnay profits. But, when I started fly fishing in the mid-80s I bought Fenwicks. Then when I got into rodbuilding in '99, I bought St. Croix because Fenwick did not sell blanks. I wanted to build myself custom Fenwicks for sentimental reasons. If St. Croix stopped selling blanks, they would lose me as a customer too since I have no reason to buy a finished rod. Here's hoping the folks in Park Falls remain autonomous and don't get snapped up by a mega sporting goods company. Although, these days it seems like that is just a matter of time for almost all small businesses.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2006 03:34PM

Fenwick's sales have improved in recent years. They sell many more rods now than they did 20 years ago. St.Croix would only stop selling blanks if the percentage required to make it worthwhile were to fall below a level that they feel is worthwhile. And if that happens they might lose a few rod builders are customers but you can bet that overall they wouldn't miss it much. Custom rod building makes up a terribly tiny part of the overall rod business.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:46AM

Sales may be up..........but they have lost their niche IMO.
You will now notice their product at Wal-mart...........I think that probably has something to do with sales being up. Most people do not buy high end rods.....most people have a fishing rod somewhere in the garage/attic whether they use it much or not. From being in the tackle retail industry in the past my own observation is if you want a lot of sales make sure you have plenty of the low to mid end product.

Fenwick was the top of the heap at one time...an innovator. Once Outdoor Technologies (Berkeley,Abu Garcia, etc) bought them. They stopped moving forward with R & D. Most of the avid fishermen who were using their product have gone on to use other products. I think they have lost their share of the high end market that was once their bread & butter.

I would love to be able to buy some of their blanks.....I would really like to build a couple Fen Glass fly rods....who knows maybe the number crunchers will see some value in in somewhere down the line?

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:25PM

Wow! Only 3% of the total business! Can't really blame them for dumping the program. Ed

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:35PM

I still have 3 UL I built in the earl 80's with Foulproof guides so they looked like the factory rods and
found 2 12' noodle blanks a couple years ago built one for a good friend and hope to get time for mine.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster