I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glitter
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 10:42PM

How do I apply glitter to my rod wrap? What type of glitter is the best (easiest) to use? I will greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks, Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glitter
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:09PM

The finer the better; embossing ones seem to be pretty fine in size.

The glitters always stick up out of the finish they're either mixed in or 'huffed' onto. A second coat is necessary to get the buggers to level out.

A little bit of this stuff goes a long ways...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 11:20PM

I've had my best luck mixing it in part A of your finish, then add part part B and mix as per instructions and apply. As Putter said a little goes a long way so don't overdo it.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 12:11AM

<----Click on Flex Coat's Sponsor link to the left.

They offer four VERY fine glitters. Find their iridescent lure finish system on the site. They offer the "powders" on their own as well as in the finish kits. What worked for me was a very thin priming coat on the wraps, one coat with the glitter mixed into the finish (while still in the cup) and then a top coat. Seemed to "suspend" itself better this way rather than putting it directly on the wraps.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:52AM

I just did a glittler finish last night on a rod I'm building. I measured out the amount of glitter I desired and poured it into the Flex Coat epoxy finish as I slowly stirred it all together. I have used FC glitter for years both on rods and custom lures I make and paint. I very much like the way it reflects different colors through the finnish. Very simple to use and very nice effect. I have also seen glitter at Michaels Craft Store that appears to be just as shiny and fine as FC's. I bought some but have not tried it yet. If you have any further questions feel free to e-mail me.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 08:14AM

I have used the glitter at Michaels Craft store and it works great!! Very Fine powder.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 08:49AM

I have good luck with a glitter from Wallyworld that come in a squeeze tube. It has an adhesive in it, just spread on wraps where you want it and let dry. Usually takes 2 coats of finish to cover it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:13AM

Like Michael, I prefer the Ultra Fine glitter (not much bigger than powder) and use a toothpick to add a little to the finish before applying. The key is to use a very small amount and stir in well. As said already, a little goes a long way and gives a very nice effect.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 09:13AM

The stuff from Michaels can be added directly to your finish and when it's dry it is as smooth as just adding finish.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 01:06PM

I get my glitter from a craft store. I use the smallest flakes or grains I can get. I want my glitter to be subtle. I like see the flakes when they are shimmering off some type of light here and there. If you get large flakes you constantly see them. I mix my glitter in with my finish. I use a little glitter at a time. mix well and spread horizontally in thin coats. I would practice on a few wraps before putting it on a rod. Email me at warren334@myway.com Putter and Bill are correct in the way they do it.. After my second coat I apply a little heat to make the flakes flow more evenly around the wrap as the rod turns and if a glob appears at the bottom side of the wrap I wick it off. Be careful with heat (too much heat well damage finish.) I use a butan torch.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster