I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

test cast blow-up
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:49PM

I just test casted an 11' lami (spinning)with concept guides (Fuji BSVLG) configured using intersect method. Casting was done with a 3oz casting plug. Butt guide was a 40H and then went to 25H, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12 with a 12 tip. First cast wrapped around the first guide which ripped off and then ripped off all the other guides. What a mess! Luckily the line didn't break so I still had all the guides. Why do you think this happened? Was my butt guide to close? (It was 22" from spool face which may be a little too close, but that is where the intersect method placed the edge of the 40H guide) I'm using a Van Staal 250 by the way...
I casted the same blank with BMNAG's with the butt guide at about the same distance and had no problem. What do you think?

Thank you for your input.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: test cast blow-up
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:21PM

Were you using mono or braided?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:06PM

Casted too hard with guides not attached with thread? Big loop of line hit first gudie as it came off teh spool, once the first guide came off the others followed suit.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:14PM

If the lure is pulling the line from the reel, large loops shouldn't be coming off and getting that far up the rod. I've been fishing and building rods for several decades now and have never seen what you describe happen.

Just for a little more information on my end, what size line are you using and roughly what is the diameter of your reel spool?

Date: February 05, 2006 10:22PM

I am using 65lb whiplash braid which is about 15 pound test diameter and the spool is 72 mm.

Scott

Date: February 05, 2006 10:24PM

I'd drop to a high frame 30, relocate and try again. But to be honest, I don't think the guide or the location was the problem.

Date: February 05, 2006 10:41PM

The only other thing I can think of is that the guide was not secured well enough with the piece of tape and fell off with the force of the cast thus throwing the line off course and stripping the rest of the guides off. I have never seen this happen before either and I have cast full-force on numerous other rods with guides held on with tape. That butt guide may have been loose.

Scott

Date: February 06, 2006 08:42AM

I have seen one guy test cast a rod with taped on guides and he managed to tear off the first few guides. But I think it was simple casting force and not the line getting wrapped around the guide that did it.

Maybe try making a few more winds with your tape - get the guide more secure before casting again. Surf casting puts a little more strain on the guide attachment than does other types of casting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster