I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shikari SHX PP7000 & PP702
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 04:48AM

Warm Greetings,

Anyone here built with Shikari SHX PP7000 or Shikari SHX PP702? Would appreciate any comments and how they compare to each other.

Thanks in advance,,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shikari SHX PP7000 & PP702
Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: February 05, 2006 08:15AM

Mo - I've built a few PP7000's. I really like that blank. Have not built the 702 though. Shoot me an email if you've got any questions about the 7000. I've got one standing here right now.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:35AM

Mo,
Also have both, the PP 702 is a joy to fish. Action is much like other 2 power popping rods. Fast actioned but with less backbone lockup than a spin jig blank would have. If you've fished with a nice medium power 8 to 12 or 6 to 12 pound steelhead rod, shrink that blank characteristic down to 7 ft and add a little faster tip and you've got it. Makes a nice bonefish rod, smallmouth rod, big trout rod. Not a bad dropshot rod. Use mine on smaller coastal streams with #3 spinners for steelhead. The 2 power blank I think makes a very nice gangtroll/stickbait big trout blank, just wouldn't use that quality graphite.
The 7000 has a much lighter tip back about a third of the way down the blank, than locks up very quickly to a butt section like the 702, maybe even a little heavier. I dropshot alot with this blank. Finness tactics for smallmouthlargemouth also. Will throw a #1 trout spinner very well. Use it for searun cutthroat trout and have caught steelhead also on it. G Loomis also makes a similar blank which is where I first used one, long before I used the Shikari. I think their # is P 840 or P 8400. Best discription is a lighter powered version of the All Star Hats and Tails, St Croix 3C68MXF, Rainshadow ISB822.5 blanks. At least to me.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: February 05, 2006 10:39PM

what are you looking to do with the blank? the P7000 is the best open water dropshot rod i have found. sorry but i can't comment on the 702. good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 11:15PM

Here's some stuff off the web.
P 7000 blanks for walleye: An extremely fast actioned blank used to fish light-duty spinner rigs and backbouncers. The tip's light enough to throw small jigs and leech/jig combos, but has a powerful butt section. Give's you excellent control whether back-trolling or drifting.
One thing I forgot is that this blank is great at throwing and retrieving minnow imitating plugs, especially, for some reason, it really shines in windy conditions. I usually use limb 8 lb line on both blanks.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 06:21PM

Wow, you guys are GREAT> Post a question, come back a couple of days later and get better answers than from the manufacturer. I'm grateful.

Couple of follow up:

1. Can you tell me what is the weight of each blank respectively?

2. We fish on wide open big body water and one of the criteria is to be able to cast a 1/8 and 1/4 oz Kastmaster type spoon AS FAAAAAAR out there as possible. Which would work? I can whip it pretty quickly so if the tip is too soft, it would not load and release the energy fast enough. I would be using 4 lb or 6 lb superlines such as Fireline.

If both are about the same for criteria #2, then I may use weight as the tie breaker.

Thanks,
TMTM

Date: February 07, 2006 12:04AM

For your criteria I'd go with the PP 7000 or the PSJ 662 or 702 blanks. The rating on the power are true on the PSJ blanks, exceed 3/8 oz and they really turn into mush. The furthest I've ever seen a 1/4 oz double willowleaf spinnerbait thrown on a casting rod was on one built on the 662, custom, minimalized contruction, with a tricked out Magnesium Diawa reel and 4/10 Fireline. He was just using regular bass fishing circular wrist casts, etc. Not pushing for distance and not one cast was under 110 ft. Haven't built on the 702, but I was told by some it's a similar blank.

Date: February 07, 2006 03:38AM

Thanks Spencer,

Would love any other comments. I'm assuming that with a 1/4 oz, the PP7000 won't turn to much when going for distance.

Also, is the PSJ 702 blank action same as the PP702? Pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Mo

Date: February 07, 2006 03:49AM

Thanks Spencer,

Would love any other comments. I'm assuming that with a 1/4 oz, the PP7000 won't turn to much when going for distance.

Also, is the PSJ 702 blank action same as the PP702? Pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Mo

Date: February 08, 2006 04:02AM

As I said before, I haven't messed with a PSJ702. Just the 662. I can see if I can CC the 7000, 702 and PSJ 662 if it may help. Like I said before the 7000 has an action similar to a St Croix 68MXF just lighter powered. Shouldn' t hard to find one of those in a finished rod near you to give you an idea of what you'll get.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster