I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I think i am in trouble......help please!
Posted by: Peter Houston (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2006 06:03PM

G'day all,

I will try to explain my problem as best as i can.

I have had a 10kg class game rod returned to me from a customer that i built up for him before xmas.
He says there is a problem with line touching the frame of the stripper guide when there is lateral deflection of the rod tip.

The blank i built this on is a sabre 6455L with AFTCO (new type) standard roller guide set. These rollers are the A frame type, not the older style rounded type.

I had a close look at the guide with the rod under load both in the vertical plane and with a sideways deflection, and the line does touch the side of the frame, and to my horror, with a little as 180mm sideways movement from rest.

My customer is a shark fisherman with a vast amount of experience. He is telling me that when a fish is closer to the boat, sudden changes in direction by the fish will obviously cause the rod tip to deflect and with the line and rod under load at this critical time, could cause the line to depart while in contact with the guide frame. He told me that he thinks this is what happened to him while fighting a tiger shark on his 15kg rod last year and lost it after 4 hours. That rod also had the A frame type of roller guide. He had another builder change the guide on that rod to the older style, rounded guide with no further problems.

During the set up stage of his rod, i used the static deflection method to determine guide placement, with the reel attached ( Tiagra 30) and loaded with line. I used five different weight settings , 25%, 33%, 50%, 66% and 75% of the breaking strain to determine best position of the rollers. Whilst doing this, at no time did i ever think to look at side deflection under load as a factor in the placement of the rollers. I thought, IMO, that the rod would be pointed at the fish at all times. I guess i need to factor this in in future.

I have been looking at the guide and its placement closely for a couple a days now, and im not sure what to do, as i still think the guide is correctly placed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this and if so, what was your solution?

Did i make a mess of this by not considering the implications of a side deflection?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I think i am in trouble......help please!
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: February 04, 2006 07:50PM

Static deflection does a good job at telling us where to put the guides, but does not take into consideration the lateral movement of the rod tip. At this point I don't know what you can do to stop this. I believe that this is just an inherient problem due to roller guide frames. We don't worry about it with ring guides for obvious reasons, but rollers are different. If your customer is really concerned about it, his only recourse may be to convert to rings (very acceptable on the rod you mentioned). He obviously had previous experience with this type problem on at least one rod in the past and should have known better himself.

Heavy sideways motion on a imobilized rod will cause the line to run up a roller guide and touch the frame. Best of luck.

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster