I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mini lathes with Nova Chucks -- $$ Question
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:09PM

Hello all,

Quick question for you. An opportunity arose yesterday to purchase a pallet of close-out "Fisch" brand mini-lathes which I'm told will accept the Nova Chuck. I told the seller that I needed a price complete with a chuck for every lathe, or we had nothing to talk about. He's working it up for me today.

I also contacted the local Jet Rep. yesterday to see what a fair price on the chucks was and he said "why don't you buy OUR lathe?" He's supposed to be working me up a package price today, which if nothing else will help me dertermine a "value" on the Fisch packages.

My question is what's a "smokin' " price on a lathe/chuck package? I've got a VERY short window of opportunity here and have to be at a trade show for the next four days so I won't have time to do much research.

Also, has anyone USED the Fisch lathe? They're an Austrian company that manufacturers high end cutting tools, but they DON'T manufacture this lathe. it's made FOR them in the orient. They sell quite a few of these in the woodworking market, but I'm afraid it might be a complete "un-known" in THIS market.

Thanks a bunch!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mini lathes with Nova Chucks -- $$ Question
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:15PM

I really like my Jet Mini-lathe with Nova chuck. Also, the three jawed chuck like in Andy Dear's DVD. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:46PM

Well seeing as how I can have a PSI Turncrafter Pro Midi Lathe shipped to my doorstep for ~$170 and can stop by the the local woodcraft store on my drive home from work and pick up a 25mm Nova Jaw Set for another $45, I'd say a "smokin" price would have to be something less then $210 and include free shipping & handling ..............

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.71.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 05:38PM

On a JET with a Nova chuck, anything less than $325.00 or so is a good deal. The JET products tend to be a little higher quality in terms of the accuracy and over-all quality of the castings. And the motors tend to be a better quality, and often times heavier duty than other brands.
That's not to say the Fisch is not a good lathe....but you asked about the JET. I own 2 of them and have had great luck with them...NEVER had a failure. Penn State makes a good product as well....their dust collectors are awesome.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:28PM

Got a Rand (china) lathe $125 inc. shipping on @#$%& and a penn mini chuck $50 + shipping . The bed needs to be stiffened (not too big of a problem) so I don't feel scr%%d. 4 speeds to 3200 approx. The tail stock will take some work to accept a chuck but I've got more time than money.
It'll turn 14 X 20. Face plate was badly out of balance. Took it to a friend to have it trued up. So far so Good !

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:33PM

Joe Hepp,

Those are just a set of jaws! The Nova chuck is over $100.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Hepp (---.229.186.46.res-cmts.nbh.ptd.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:44PM

Ok, then it had better be less then $275 on my doorstep, or the price would be less then smoking!

The PSI TurncrafterPro is all the lathe a rod builder will ever need; the "Fisch" lathe is IMHO an unknown. Might be good, may not. Would have to be a heck of a deal before I spent anything close to what I could purchase a proven lathe for.

Date: February 03, 2006 10:18PM

I have a Turncrafter Pro also and really like it. With any of the mini/midi lathes, there are a few "extras" that are needed. If you plan on doing grips and drilling them out, you will need a drill chuck (about $30), You need a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. Be sure that the chuck that you get can handle the dimensions that you need. The 3 jaw that I purchased with my lathe is a good chuck but it's max capacity is 1 1/8". I bought a 4 jaw so I could also do square stock but there again, you have to check closely that it can close enough to hold a mandrel and open enough to hold a 1 1/2" or larger piece (you generally have to change jaws to do all of this). If you plan on boring out grips, a bed extension is a big help.

Besides good tools, you need a SLOW, or variable speed grinder and a pink or white wheel (not included) to sharpen your tools (a skill in itself).
Not trying to be a pessimist, but anyone interested in a lathe needs to be aware of these things.

The most important item is a copy of Andy Dear's DVD on wood turning for rodbuilders!!!! It's a must! All that being said, The best purchase I made was my lathe. It's almost as addictive as rodbuilding.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:30PM

I just got the PSI Turncrafter, bed extension, and Penn State Barracuda 'blemish' chuck with four sets of jaws. $170 + $30 + $99...$300.

I would say a $200 package would have got me in the door a few months earlier.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.57.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 10:58PM

You'll need mandrels also...anybody have any idea where he can get those?

Hhhmm.....

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Date: February 03, 2006 11:15PM

Oops!!!!!! I thought you included a set with every DVD!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 11:23PM

Thanks for the input!

Turns out this thing's really pretty nice, tons of power and smooth as buttah... HOWEVER, the main deal breaker was the 86lb. shipping weight on just the headstock and first two feet of bed. UPS murders you when you get over 70lbs, which is why the Jet Mini's ship at ............. 69lbs! The rep told me that this has a lot to do with it's popularity among their dealers, especially the online dealers.

Turns out the Fisch was actually very highly rated by Fine Woodworking Magazine which is generally a pretty solid gauge in the industry. They said it was the most "vibration free" of any of the lathes tested and YES they did test the Jet. I'd have to guess the extra 17lbs of Iron probably had more than a little to do with this.

Strike two on the deal was 18 lathes and ALL of the accessories. 16 bed extensions, 15 stands, 12 stand extensions, turning tools, etc... GREAT price, but, but, but... Too much to deal with really. I can buy a LOT of "known" components with that same money and not have to re-invent the wheel convincing people how good they are! I actually COULD put a Fisch on your doorstep for under $250, that is, if you lived between my house and the shop! lol Oh, and we havent added a chuck for that price yet.

The guy I'm working with is actually selling BOTH brands at this show for $249 (after a double rebate to net the Jet down that low). The Fisch is a little larger and more powerful and actually COST him more, but he's fighting the same uphill battle selling this against the Jet for more $$, which is why he's closing them out. The Jet sells itself.

Jet offered me a VERY nice deal on a Mini Lathe/Nova Midi Chuck combo, but it's on a big quantity. I have NO IDEA what kind of volume to expect, so these could be in the family for generations. lol They qouted me on both the variable & six speed units. Any preference Andy? I'm assuming the six speed is the weapon of choice?

Anyway THANK YOU ALL very much. This was something that I had to make my decision on like NOW and without your input I'd have probably let the excitement of a "deal" cost Colleen a lot of money. lol Really, Thank you!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster