I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Decorative crosswraps- methods(weavers inlcuded-lol)
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:25PM

Sorry, but I figured tonight might be a good time to ask.... Whats is your prefered method of lay down a diamond wrap, chevron or more elaborate crosswrap?

Jessy Bulky showed Billy Vivona the "speed box" method that he uses...I've heard that some will cut strands of thread to length, and then by hand spiral them up and down a blank. I have one of those Clemens lathes that I spool up and with the large "wheel"...simultaniosly spin the rod while advancing the wheel. It ain't speedy...its just the way I do it.

How do you do it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 02:49PM by Michael Joyce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative crosswraps- methods(weavers exlcuded-lol)
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:29PM

On Diamonds/Chevrons, I usualy cut off about 4 threads (about all I can handle comfortably) at a time the same length and spiral by hand while turning the rod by hand in a hand wrapper. Hoping you guys can teach me better!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 08:30PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:30PM

By hand & one to three threads at a time & all size A and thinner. I just prefer the smoother, more intricate look as the threads cross.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.132.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:47PM

I was doing it like Mike - four at a time, hand turning the rod. But, I was having some trouble with the threads getting crossed, so I have gone to two threads at a time. It takes twice as long, but I never get threads crossed and save time overall.
Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:12PM

Michael: This should turn out to be a very interesting thread.

All on high V Block at eye level hand turn. Multiples to six - up and back - tape off on one end - chevrons forever - no boxes, too hard to pack - metallics in pairs only, more tension than on A nylon. No more than four patterns exposed,too much color - always on underwrap, stays in place - careful with color selection, no light ones on top. Time limit, no more than two hours from start underwrap to complete tie off. Do not consider the butt wrap as a value adder to the price of the rod to present customers. Try to stay with four axis and one inch centers. Price of rods based on blank, components and grip set up. Very narrow market popping rods inshore and bass worm and flippin. Main customer base fishing guides and their customers. Can not sell in local stores due to percent markup by store owners.

Like the movie one rule is Never on Sunday!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:06PM

Well,
Still laying one thread at a time! Tried 2 and 3 threads but pulled my hair out! Will have to work on that!
LOL!! I can put a simple single diamond or chevron wrap on in about 2 hrs (I'm slow). If anyone ever
creates a tutorial on the tricks of the trade for crosswrapping I'd snatch it up in a minute!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:13PM

Being an ignorant weaver, I still do crosswraps using a single thread at a time(I like the look better than when multiples are used).
I use nothing larger than A and use a lot a 00 black nylon as shading between colors
Only purpose I've found for crosswraps is to provide a nice looking border for my weaves.....................

Posted by: Sean Endres (69.177.45.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:21PM

When I first started wrapping, I was holding a spool in one hand, spinning with the other.... one thread at a time. Now that I have a Clemens lathe, I basically do it the same way Mike J. does his. I find the lathe method so much easier, as I have much better tension control. One to three threads at a time. I like the final results of one thread at a time better, much better detail. But laying three threads at a time definately speeds things up, and final looks are decent when using A threads.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.132.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:38PM

Its funny, but I can do a butt wrapp faster than I can do the guides on a rod. After I get the rod all marked off, I can do a simple diamond in not much more than an hour. My homemade wrapper leaves a lot to be desired, and I have trouble with thread tension, etc. when doing guides. But, don't have this trouble when just holding the threads for the butt wrap in my fingers.
It does take me too long to lay the rod out, though. Next on my agenda is to make a layout tool. I think this would speed things up a lot. And, maybe I can get some good ideas about all this in Charlotte.

Posted by: Greg Wegener (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:51PM

I have been rod building for 3yrs and I don't weave, because I don't know how. I sell 10-15 rods/yr, and my customers prefer my color combinations in trim bands at the butt section to match the decal, writing, and colored guides they choose. Kudos to all you weavers, all your weaves are a piece of art work and beautiful. The time I save by not weaving, I can have a handle/blank assembly together.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:53PM

There is a simple trick to keeping threads from twisting when laying 4 to 8 at a time. I'm not sure I can explain it in text, but I'll be happy to show it in Charlotte. I always wrap multiple threads and in the same direction until time for a different color. It reduces the number of crosses and greatlly aids in getting a better pack and flatter wrap.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:27PM

When I do multi. threads I lay the threads over my finger next to thumb. Next I take my thumb nail and press it lightly into the thread.. I keep the distance from my hand and rod about 10 to 12 inches. Before I use the multiple threads I make a single X on the rod and lightly glue the center of the X in-place using color preserver. This well help keep my pattern centered. Now I just lay my multi. threads along side the single threads and turn my rod. I also keep the single thread at about 15% to the rod and lightly move them back an forth, this well pack the treads as I turn the rod on my power wrapper. I hope this gives you an idea. please email me for more info if you need it
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 03:14AM

Tom,

For those of us who can not make it to Charlotte this year, maybe you can do an article on your simple tricks to lay multi threads in an upcoming issue of Rod Maker. I can't tell you how much I'd like to learn these tricks to make my work faster and easier.

Thanks,

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:17AM

If you use the same color thread, when they cross over NOBODY will even notice. Even more nobody will ever notice, if you use darker thread. Practice whatever method you use, adn it will become much easier and quicker.

I wrap 8 at a time from a box. I can go up and down 1 pass without any twist. If I wanted to prevent twist, I'd cut teh threads here, let them uncoil (like a telephone cord), and restick them to the tape for the next up and down pass. I'm sur eif I practiced a little, and did more solid color background - 15 threads wouldn't be a problem at all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:26AM

Like Tom explaining this in text without graphics is next to impossible. I work with precut thread lengths that will be long enough for the up and back. I keep the bands straight when pulling by holding the threads in a manner where the entire length of the band is pulled taunt with tension while the rod is rotated. I do not let the thread band slip through by fingers while turning. I control the direction of the band placement and the tension with the hand that is holding the end of the band. I do have to change hands for the back pass. This is where the text gets too confusing to write.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:14AM

Double sided tape at each end, bands of up to 8, cut to fit up or down, it's too hard to keep em' from crossing if I try to get a complete up and down pass. With the right tension, you can just sort of wiggle the bands as they are placed and the threads will fall into place without crossing.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 01:08PM

Pre-cut, for up or down, holding tight in one spot the way Bill S described as I rotate the rod. Never got the knack for making an up and down pass in one motion though. Single threads up to 4. With more than 4, on at least a few passes, I usually wind up with one thread that doesn't have good tension. Using a max of 4 keeps me happy.

Re: Decorative crosswraps- methods(weavers inlcuded-lol)
Date: February 02, 2006 03:48PM

Thanks for the responses. The hand wrapping seems quite popular....that multi thread in hand tehnique must take some time to master.

Hey weaver guys...sorry about typing "excluded"...it was a case of the brain and the fingers, not being on the same page.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 04:11PM

I know, I know different degrees of manual dexterity and intellectual levels. We only have to take one thread at a time from the right to the left and then turn the rod (once) then take one or more threads (one at a time) from the right to the left and maybe some from the left back to the right (one at a time) turn the rod once. Simple...

See you guys in Charlotte....

Date: February 02, 2006 05:46PM

more like......layer 8(blue) left.....half turn to bottom 2nd pattern 3-47 right....half turn etc... Out of respect Jim(s)...its an amazing talent a weaver has.

I'm driving 867 miles with the hopes of seeing a Baby Dragon, among others things.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster