I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question re blank exposed seat
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.132.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 07:59PM

Need some help. I have just started using blank exposed casting seats (Fuji ECS). I ordered them so that the ID matches the rod at the desired location. However, when I put one on a blank, I see that the front half of the seat is much bigger, and it wiggles some. It looks like it needs an arbor.
What do I do, just go ahead and glue an arbor in the front and ream it to size? This looks easy, but I am not sure I have any arbors of the right size laying around. Usually, I use drywall tape and Rod Bond, but don't think I can here, since the seat won't slide past the tape arbor.
So, if I don't have any arbors, is there another way to secure the front of the seat? If not, and I can't find an arbor, I will just have to order some and wait.
Thanks
Steve Broadwell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question re blank exposed seat
Posted by: Lyman Yee (67.189.60.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 09:30PM

I used one on the last rod I made. Where the blank was exposed, it was a very snug fit. There wasn't much if any play in front. There was a bit of a gap but I just filled it with rodbond. Turned out very solid.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 10:00PM

Steve, I'm not familiar with Fuji's seats. Pac Bay's require one arbor on the front. AmTak's is solid and doesn't require an arbor. You could still make that arbor by gluing it together, in place, with plastic wrapped around the rod blank. Remove it, and when gluing the reel seat on, slide the hardened arbor into place just like you would with a graphite (brick foam) or 1/2 of a urethane foam arbor.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: February 01, 2006 10:32PM

Thanks. The Fuji must be like the Pac Bay; it is a lot bigger at the front. I do have a left-over arbor that will fit, so no problem. I just wondered how guys that don't use arbors use these seats. I know that some people swear by the drywall tape arbors. That is a good idea, Putter. If I get in a bind in the future I will remember it.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.40.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:09PM

I build a lot of steelhead rods and almost always use exposed reel seats. I never use an arbor and have never had any problems. Just make sure it is a snug fit. Once you slide the seat on put some extra epoxy at the rear and in the front where it is larger. Slide your fore grip on and place it in your clamp. Make sure you rough up the inside of your seat and the blank for a better bonding surface.

David Banaka

Date: February 02, 2006 10:35AM

I think that how snug the reel seat is depends on the size. The first one I used was a 12.mm ID. It was pretty snug, just wiggled on the front a little bit. This worried me, and I didn't even recognize it until I had everything all put together, so I made a couple of real small shims of cork and Rod Bonded them in. That worked fine.
But, the one I am working on now is a 10mm, and it is way bigger at the front. Since I had this problem already, I checked, and it is very unstable with just the back part glued. The arbor fixed it right up, though.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 01:13PM

A cork ring can always be turned down for an arbor too.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 08:35PM

Steve,

When you measured the place on the rod, where the reel seat will be, did you measure the diameter of the rod near the bottom of where the reel seat wil be, or the top. The reason I ask, is because the reel seat diameters are even from upper end to bottom. But your fishing rod has a taper there.

When I measure the diameter on the rod, I measure the highest point on the blank where the seat will be, and order according to this. I then ream the reel seat so that it fits on the lower end. This ensures a snug fit for all of my seats, and prevents the epoxy from leaking.

Also, I fill the wide area, in the upper part of the reel seat, with epoxy. I bought five minute epoxy from wallys world, that had a long spout for squirting it into small places. The spout also mixes the epoxy as it comes out of the syringes. This has been the cleanest, easiest way I have found for pouring epoxy into this area.

Date: February 02, 2006 11:10PM

Wow, I need to find some of that epoxy. There are a couple of uses I could think of for that.
Actually, I had the supplier fit these seats to the rod. There is a little differential between the front and back of the narrow part, due to the rod taper. But, this wasn't much, and I used Rod Bond, so I think it leveled out pretty well. I will try reaming the back of the next one just a little.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster