I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rice, size D metallic thread...
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 04:50PM

Can this be used for wrapping guides onto a blank? Rod is for muskie fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rice, size D metallic thread...
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 05:45PM

Don't know about the break strength of RICE thread , call the MFG directly. Gudebrod met thread was once only to be used on butt and trim wraps, until they started manufacturing it (HT) with a nylon core increasing the break strength of size "A" met. thread from 1.8# to 2.4# I never liked the look of size "D" met thread as you can see the weave/braid in it. I always use size "A" met thread even when laid up next to size "D" thread. The new Gudebrod HTsize "D" thread is stronger than size "A" met. thread but there are more wraps per inch using "A" than "D", not enough to make up for the inheriant strength differencial but it dose somewhat mitigate the difference. If Your using double foot casting guides you should be all right, now single foot guides????.....in the past I have gotten a white "V" above the tip of the guide foot (single foot spinning) pressed into the thread epoxy. To remedy this I use a complimentary colored regular nylon thread over this transitional area

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 07:40PM

I have done musky rods using Sulky metallic, which I believe is a little smaller than "A" and have never had a problem. As far as strength goes, I would think that "A" thread or any of the metallics would be more than strong enough for just about any rod (my opinion only-no technical data)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 08:37PM

Simple answer: Yes.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:02PM

Hi Fred,
Someone posted a photo of a blue guidewrap done with "D" or "E" thread a couple of days ago.
Looks like it was painted! A very nice, smooth wrap! I have never used anything larger than "C"
myself. Now it looks like rope compaired to "A"

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:41PM

i just finished an ultra light crappie rod using rice metallic size a thread on my guide wraps. it seems to be fine. rice metallic a thread has a nylon inner core, so i would guess that the d also has. good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster