I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo- where to start
Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 03:59PM

I cast a bamboo rod for the first time this past weekend and really liked it. I am now considering purchasing one. I have no idea where to start?

Where should I start to look, what types of things should I look for?

What is the price range for an average (middle of the road) rod, ie not made by some "famous" builder?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo- where to start
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 04:23PM

If you are a skilled builder you can buy a blank for around $400 to $500 and build a credible fly rod. two builders come to mind. jeff fultz of fultz rod company in denver. mark fritch sells his blanks on @#$%& and his workmanship is outstanding. both of these folks sell completed rods and i think you are looking at $1000 range. there are numerous other comtemporary builders. golden witch makes blanks and rods and represents a few builders as well. bamboo is not cheap because about 40 hours goes into the handcrafting of them. i would suggest you look for about 7'6" in a four wt for starters. when you get around 8'6" they start to get heavy and not as pleasant to cast. when a fish is on a four wt feels more like a 2 or 3wt in terms of flexibility. this may seem like a contradiction but some of the casting energy when casting bamboo comes from its mass.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2006 05:25PM

RodMaker Magazine did a complete series on building bamboo rods a few years back. Since then, the book by George Mauer and Bernie Elser is also an excellent reference guide, maybe the only one you need. "Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly Rod" is the title to look for.

Also, you may be interested in the new Bamboo Rod Makers Association. Try this, www.goabra.org

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:54AM

nix that thought in the bud!!!! do not think of bamboo any longer. old world ideas that'll hit your pocketbook like crazy. you can't have just one... and incredibly more addictive than rodbuilding itself it appears ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 02, 2006 11:57AM

Rons rods, Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum. Check out the links to fishingBanjoes site. 2 good souces of information. Lots of information posted.
Cost from a modern maker depends upon his reputation. Good rods for 700, same maker will be selling them for 1500 after he gets enough name recognition. I would say 700 - 1000 is a good price. Beware the cheaper new imported bamboo rods. Some of them are good. But some are pretty bad. The maker has to pay a lot of attention to how he cuts the splints in relation to the "power fibers" . That means that 2 rods can have the same taper, but one can be lousy and the other great. You are gonna have a bamboo rod for a long time. Resist the urge to get a real bargin. (I have 4 or 5 bamboo " bargins" sitting in the closet and a nice one that I fish a lot. I could have saved $1500 or so just buy buying a good one first. I will admit I had fun!) Their are pobably bargins out there, but it takes a experienced bamboo person to identify them.
Lots of good used rods but you need to know a lot to buy one.
Orvis battenkils are a safe buy used.
Look at the forums above, read some of the back stuff.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 01:33PM

one other option. LL BEAN is now selling a bamboo rod. it is being built by gary lacey who builds the new "grangers" for wright and mcgill. reports i have seen are the rods are very nice and LL BEAN stands behind them. about $1200.00

Posted by: Paul S. Blanch (---.apk.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 03:21PM

If you need a class try www.wagnerrods.com He sells complete rods and parts plus has a week long class with fishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 03:22PM by Paul S. Blanch.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 02, 2006 05:46PM

Gary. You can get some great buys off @#$%& for under $300 from a couple of re-builders that I would recommend. Unfortunately, used bamboo is a pig in a poke proposition and can get very pricey. Clark's is a good site for quality rods and good people. There are also a couple of quality blank makers that sell on @#$%&, Mark Fitch for instance. I have a couple of rods I re-rebuilt from @#$%& purchases that you can have for $100 or less. Notice that I said rebuilt rebuilts. They weren't up to snuff when I got them. You can contact me off-site if you want one. Welcome to the darkside young Jedi. Don

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 07:19PM

Gary--You can not go wrong with a blank from Mark Fitch,his work is excellent

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.243.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 09:27AM

Don't start , less you got deep pockets !!!!!!!!!! You ain't gonna stop with one.... and then you will start with the "collectable names" , then your on your way to the High end collectables... next it's the 2nd and 3rd mortgage on the homestead..... BUT -- -- you will have some really nice fishing instruments to look at !!!!!!!!!! Beleive me when I tell ya.

Tight lines ~~

Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:00PM

Thanks everybody, now I'm wishing I never cast the damn thing! I already have the bug for building graphites!

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:11PM

i hear ya gary. this is the fly fishing expo season. see if you can catch one nearby. often bamboo makers may have a showing with rods to test cast at a pond on the facility. it was the beginning of the end for me last year. look for the ISE offerings, or one called The Flyfishing Show. turn to google for your needs...

tim zeitak also sells his blanks on @#$%&.

e

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster