I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gluing jig cork pieces
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:37AM

This "tweener" (not a nooby but certainly not polished jet!) is trying some inlay cork work for the first time using JJ jig. I have cut matching wedges of dark Andy burl and wedges of regular cork. The 8 pieces when put together will make a full cork ring. What is the easiest method for gluing those 8 pieces into a near symetrical ring? I plan to use a slow drying 2 part epoxy but I can't decide on how to attach the pieces in the most efficient manner. Hope I made enough sense with the question that someone can help. Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gluing jig cork pieces
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 11:54AM

Best thing I have seen for this is using wire ties. Glue up the pieces and then tighten the wire tie around them.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:45PM

Steve,

I use the cable ties also. For glueing, I use Rod Bond or Titebond until recently. I was doing up some EVA, cork ssamples last week and was using Contact Cement with the EVA and tried it with the cork and was surprised at how great it worked. Cut off the brush that is attached to the lid , per a Rodmaker article and use the cheap, disposable brushes from a craft store (24/$2). The key is to completely coat each side of the cork (it doesn't have to be thick) and let them dry for about 15 minutes. When dry, push them together and use a cable tie to tightly secure. Another 15 minutes and they are ready for sanding. Give it a try on a test ring!!!
P.S. I always lay out a sheet of wax paper when working with adhesives to contain any mess and the stuff won't stck to it.

Let us know how it works!! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 12:48PM

I have good luck forming them around a 1/4 inch piece of rod or dowel inserted perpendicular into a flat surface. This helps keep the spacing and alignment. I prefer rod bond as the epoxy and use rubber bands to hold the pieces firmly in place.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 02:05PM

I stayed pretty frustrated with checkerboards. If the outside edge of every piece is not exactly the same, then when you sand them, their width will change relative to the piece you may placing on top to get the alternating colors (I hope this is clear). Stan's comments about using rod or dowel helps. Similiarly, I went to the hardware store and bought 1.5" sheet metal bolts (the ones without the lip at the head) in diameter sizes equal to the ID of the bore sizes I most often use to fit the grip. I also bought 1.25" flat washers and wing nuts in the correct sizes. I use rod bond. After apply a thin layer and removing it from both sides of a piece, I assemble the pieces. I do it on the correct sized bolt that has been waxed and on top of a waxed washer. When the outside circumference is exactly the same for all pieces I place a waxed washer on top and tighten the wing nut to the point that it holds the pieces, but I can still move them slightly. I then wrap a tight-wide rubber band to "clamp" the pieces together (a pull tie works too, but the rubber band provides continuous contact). Then I snug the wing nut down a little tighter.

It's a lot easier to do than to describe.

Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 02:58PM

You guys are unbelievable. So many good hints and tips. I ought to be able to come up with something now. Thanks so much. I'm heading to the hardware store. Steve

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: February 01, 2006 03:35PM

i use Stan's method, using a rod to place the cork pieces around, it helps alot. One thing i found is that it makes it a whole lot easier if you bore the standard 1/4" hole in the cork ring a little larger before you cut the pie shapes. The point ends of the pie slices sometimes were longer than others and it got in the way of making a perfect ring around the dowel or rod.

Carrington Tate
Durango, CO

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 01, 2006 04:36PM

Weldwood Contact cement is teh way to go. Coat both surfaces, wait 10 minutes, press them together.

Steve - cutting and glueing checkerboards is tough. I have done a few EVA Checkerboards, only a couple with cork. You MUST start with pieces which have the same ID (OD doesnt' matter). When you glue them up, you match up teh cork from teh inside. Once it sands down, everything wil line up, provided you cut teh pieces evenly.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 01, 2006 05:34PM

Weldwood contact cement works really well on eva but it isn't as durable as Rod Bond or Titebond III for cork.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster