I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First paying customer, time to dive in
Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 12:13AM

Okay I sold my first rod,now I need tobuild it and need some advice.
Customer wants a 9ft. fast action 1pc rod for trolling copper wire (27)lb and wants roller guides with swivel tip. Will sometimes be flatlined with dodgers/flashers and sometimes with inline board.

So I check a few catalogs and come up with the following blanks, all blanks meet the above criteria and are priced where I need them.

How I picked the blanks was by simply checking line wieght and action and length. I know not all company's may use the same measurement for action but that's all I have to go on unless someone can give me other suggestions.

Blanks
Seeker LB90
690J
seeker also lists stock number 530 but do not list an action
Calstar GF900L is listed as an extra/fast and more out of being curious anyone care to compare to the above, or offer other blank ideas

Thanks
jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First paying customer, time to dive in
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:09AM

If the action is not listed, you can compare the diameters of the butt and tip. This can be helpful in determining the general action you'd be looking at. The greater the difference in butt and tip diameter, generally the faster the action will be.

I have used the Seeker LB90. If that one is available in the CLB series, I'd go that route.

Posted by: Mike Sertic (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:08AM

I am from Southern California, so I can't really comment on the wire trolling thing, but I have fished most of these blanks at some point.

While I would fish the 690J and 530 at a similar line class (25-30, as a jigstick)and both have a similar stiffness at the tip, the 530 has a more powerful butt section and faster action then the 690J, which is pretty parabolic. I would call the 690J med-slow action, 530 med-fast. Also, the 690J I used to own was an older sabre blank, which the seeker mandrels are based off of, but they may have changed the action some. Seeker lists it as fast, which suprises me.

I have not fished the LB90, but it looks like a longer version of the LB806H, which would be a softer tip than the 530, but similar or slightly faster overall action.

Calstars are pretty fast action, stiffer tip than comparable seekers, I usually fish them at the upper end of the rated line weight.

You may also mant to check out the Seeker SJ90 and SJ90F for faster actions.

Posted by: jeff miller (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 02, 2006 12:19AM

thanks for the help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster