I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Rod for my Son
Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 01:18AM

My son just underwent knee surgery and will be laid up for awhile. It looks like he might make the last 1/2 of the baseball and track season though. Until then we might be able to do a little more bass fishing so he asked me to make him a new rod. I've got a 6'6" Loomis GL3, a 7' Loomis IMX, 2 7' Rogues (1spin-1cast). He wants a 7' spinning rod. For the places we fish a medium power should do the trick. I'm looking for suggestions. He wants a faster action with some versatility. He likes to throw 1/4 to 1/2 oz. spinner baits (mostly 3/8 oz.) a lot and he also likes to fish Senkos and jigs with a little worming thrown in. All the rods I have are pretty sensitive and I know he likes them. I'm open to all suggestions and experiences. I don't want to spring for a GLX or IMX unless a substitute could be found for less $$$. I'll probably go with Alconites in the new concept configuration. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.
Ron Greenbank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Rod for my Son
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 07:13AM

I'm not sure if you mean you have those blanks to choose from or that is just an idea of what you think you might want...

I would suggest looking into St.Croix SCV blanks but the price is about the same as IMX (but most feel it's a better rod than IMX) I just built a St.Croix SCIII spinning rod that is a great one. (actually built it on a ML casting blank) They have an SCII that fits your need (also listed as a casting blank) 2C70MLF it's 7' #8-14 line, 3/16 - 5/8oz Fast action and the blank only weighs 1.9 oz., $52.00 retail. Or a SCIII spinning blank 3S70MF it's 7' #6-12 line, 3/16 - 5/8 oz, Fast action, weight 2.2oz, $76.00 retail. The SCV 7' spinning blank is $126.00 retail.

I've been super impressed with St.Croix and until a few months ago I have primarily used Loomis rods for the past 10-15 years.

I'm still a new builder so I can't offer much in the way of guide advice.

Good luck!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 08:30AM

I think Keith's suggestions are good choices. As the price of the St Croix goes up so does the quality, and the weight of the blank goes down They are some of the lightest most sensitive blanks on the market. Even their mid priced blank is excellent.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:19AM

Don't link price with quality. Performance certainly does increase as you climb the modulus/price ladder but great quality can be had in many lower priced blanks. There are almost too many to choose from - Lamiglas, Shikari, St. Croix, Rainshadow, Matrix, Pac Bay, etc., etc., all make really nice bass rod blanks that can be hand for very little money; often under $50.

Date: January 31, 2006 11:18AM

Keith, Sorry I wasn't more clear. Those rods I described are ones that I'm using now. He uses them also.

Ron

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 12:13PM

I don't think I would want to have a bass rod arsenal any longer that doesn't have a blank with the characteristics of the St Croix 3,4, or 5C68MXF or the Rainshadow ISB822.5F blank. They are very similar, versatile in the areas you mentioned, and just a lot of fun to fish with in either casting or spinning configurations.

Date: February 02, 2006 03:03PM

Tom, Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably be using a series 15 or 20 spinning reel. I'm going to go with the alconites in the new concept configuration. What would be your suggestions for sizes? Do I really need a 30 for the largest guide?

Thanks,
Ron Greenbank

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:55PM

With reels that size a size 20 Alconite is all you need to start with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster