I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting a reel seat after it's epoxied?
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 08:25PM

Well, after my unexpected success on my first rod, I got in a hurry to start the second. (yes, I know better but got excited)

I had planned on a split grip, no foregrip, cut down reel seat casting rod... in my haste, I epoxied the reel seat about an hour ago and realized I had forgot to cut down the seat.

I still want to cut it down as it looks funny being full length with no foregrip. My question is how can I cut it without getting into the blank?

I might just be able to go extremely slow with bare hands and a hacksaw bade against a cutting guide... but that is a little scary since I have NO margin for error and will not get a second chance if I screw up on this task.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting a reel seat after it's epoxied?
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:34PM

What kind of epoxy did you use? If Rod Bond, you could very well still be able to pull it off, if it's only been an hour. You'd have a mess to clean up, but other than that, no worse for wear. In fact, if you've got the cutting tool handy, you could likely pull it off, trim the excess off the threads, sand the end square, then re-mount it (with new epoxy) before the old epoxy had hardened enough to be troublesome. You'd have to do it quickly, but I think you could. Worse case is that you spend some time cleaning off the blank, and cleaning out the seat really well, then you epoxy it again tomorrow.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:39PM

With the epoxy still soft if you cann't pull it off, take a big pot. Fill with hot water bring to boil place handle in water for 30 seconds at a time until untill epoxy soft enough to pull handle off. Try to pull handle off after each 30 seconds.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:16AM

You can cut them off if you are very careful. I have done about a half dozen of my bass rods that I have had for several years. Since I got into rodbuilding, I no longer have ANY rods with foregrips, nor ANY rods that aren't split grip. I use a dremel with a diamond cutting wheel and very carefully...I can't stress CAREFULLY enough, I cut around the circumfrence flush with the nut with the reel in the seat and tightened down. You have to be very careful not to cut too deep. Then I make a slit from the front of the ring I am going to remove to the back of it and insert a flat screwdriver into the slit and twist to break the drop piece apart so I can remove it. So far ...(Knock on my wooden head).... I haven't had any mishaps. Good luck if you decide to give it a try sometime....Just remember....be careful...

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 31, 2006 02:14PM

Once I realized what I had done, the epoxy was already set... I used the waterproof Locktite brand gel epoxy, set pretty quick.

Well, I did it... I took it really slow and tried to cut it to the point that it was like thread fibres holding the reel seat together and then used the nut and a shim to break itself on the cut line. It worked perfectly. I found one tiny nick about 1/2 the size of a pin head, but it just touched the finish. I put the rod over my knee and really laid into it, way harder than I will ever stress it with a fish and it's fine. I put a touch of epoxy around the "new end" of the seat, just to make myself feel better.

I have to admit it was scary!

Thanks for the reponses.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster