I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builder's Responsibility #2
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:28AM

Cliff, I'm figuring about 4 pages from you on this one. Big company in NC has a division making pool que grips with NFL,MLB, and NCAA Logo's. In order to do this they have paid these organizations for the right to do so. The NC company sells the grips to a distributor that puts out a mail order catalog to sell to the public. I buy the grips from the mail order catalog and put them on fishing rods. Am I breaking any kind of law by using them for other than what they were sold for? I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, am I? Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builder's Responsibility #2
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:19AM

The only thing you will be doing wrong is messing with the pool cue grips on fishing rods in the first place. If you spent the time learning to play one pocket and nine ball you could start robbing customers in the pool hall instead of on the dock at the marina!

Soon!

You Know Who!

Date: January 30, 2006 12:03PM

Bill, I've had some brain storms over the years but this is the mother of all brain storms. I will keep you in mind when I'm hiring guys to help me carry the loot to the bank when this thing takes off. Did 2 prototypes [Steelers and Redskins] over the weekend to see if my idea would work and was pleased with the results. Jesse

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:44PM

Jesse - I'll hold today's personalized dissertation to you down to ~4 paragraphs. I already shot my gunpowder today on another Thread: "First rod tips" by Dave Wylie. And it's almost time for lunch!

Now to your question, Jesse: THIS TIME, I think you are TOTALLY A-OKAY.

When you buy the grips from the pool cue company, they have paid the copyright fee, and you have the right to stick that one logo wherever you want to. On anything you want. Fishing rods or whatever. You just would not be allowed to buy one logo, and then try to weave 100 patterns, and think that you "bought the copyright". You don't have the right to REPRODUCE or USE THE LOGO at a rate higher than each one you pay for. ...

But let's say it cost you $25 to buy the logo-bearing grip. Then you can put it on your fishing rods and charge whatever the heck you want extra, because the true mark-up is hidden in your package price for parts & labor and the total fishing rod.

Just don't start advertising to the Big Boys (NFL, MLB, NCAA) that you are making $10,000 a year or a month in extra sales. They may change the rules of the Game on you. That's what the Big Boys do when the New Kid on the block isn't giving them their fair cut of your action. What's when they make you "an offer you can't refuse". When Sonny Corleone shows up, so do the new rules.

I'm fond of the Yankees myself if you want to spread a little payola my way. You can write it off as a "Consultation Fee". LOL, -Cliff Hall+++

Date: January 30, 2006 02:24PM

Cliff I agree with your post with one exception. Your supposition that Jesse paid $ 25 for anything that goes on a rod that he sells is absolutely preposterous!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 02:57PM

LOL

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.117.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:05PM

Jesse, Check your email.
HAGO!
Joe

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 07:24PM

I wouldn't be so sure yet. Somewhere it will probably say " or alter in any way " . Removing it from the cue to put on a rod for resale, would kind of reflect this.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 11:30PM

Jessy ,
Would it be to much to ask you to post a photo of your money magnet?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:02AM

So if I purchase a sheet of NCAA or NFL "fingernail decals" for $3 and use them on approx 25 or 30 rods, will the copyright goons be knocking down my door in the middle of the night?

Date: January 31, 2006 01:53PM

I would most definately post a picture if I knew how and had a camra. I am the most incompetent computer operator in the world. Jesse

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 05:44PM

Jesse, you just haven't met my older brother yet is all...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 31, 2006 06:42PM

JB - Anybody that can pull 18 threads at one time out of a silly litle tackle box and do a chevron butt wrap in 5 minutes can be taught to point a little box and push a button! Have your dentist take a few pictures for you and post them!

Stopped Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster