I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Wraping (Wine Glasses)
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 02:11AM

Recently I saw the post from Billy V. of the beautifully wrapped wine glasses that he's taking to Charlotte. I was very impressed by his work and tried to wrap a glass myself. I was able to wrap one in the colors of the Italian flag for my dad, but I had all kind of problems. I tried to use my wrapper some how but ended up using a thread bobbin used for tying flies. I was hoping to wrap a set of glasses for my dad, but I'm diffenitly going to need some advise. My question to Billy and the forum is; What is the best and easiest way to wrap wine glass stems?

Thank you very much in advanced.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Wraping (Wine Glasses)
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 03:33AM

E-mail Michael Joyce, he is the one that makes them

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 03:42AM

"Guide Wrapped Wine Glasses" by Billy Vivona
Keywords: Guide Wrapped Wine Glasses [www.rodbuilding.org] Some of what will be for sale at the NERBs booth in Charlotte. Available Options: Custom color of your choice & your name on the stem if ordered by Feb 10th.

Downright classy there, Billy.
Are they dishwasher safe?
Just kidding, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:39AM

Cliff, they are dishwasher safe. I've been puttiing Margarita glasses with gold cermets in there for years. When removing the glasses, I try not to grap the stem till things cool off a bit. (hand washing is recommended).

Rich, you're dong just fine with the bobbin method, use the method that works best for you...the only tip I can really give you is to "prime" the stem with color preserver first and make sure you have plenty of masking tape laying around for inlays.

DO NOT check for the spine on a wine glass stem out of habit...

mmm.glasswrapping.org

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:39AM

MJ - Roger that. Priming-Yes. Spining-NO!
Really beautiful. Very "elegant". Bet the ladies
& Capt.s like 'em. Maybe you can find a way
to keep Wal-Mart from stealing the idea and
selling them in the Housewares or Camping Section.
Cabela's or Offshore Angler would buy 10,000 tomorrow.
LOL, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:44AM

Thanks, but I dont' wrap Wine Glasses, lol. Mike does. He also makes Custom wraps brooms, candlesticks, lamps, and PVC tubes.

Date: January 30, 2006 05:36PM

I got it now. Mike wraps everything he sees and Putter marbles everything he sees. I also like the tip on not trying to find the spine. I think Cliff was joking but I could easily see Cabela or Basspro stealing the idea and running with it.

Mike, I just want to say how impressed I am of your idea and work with wine glasses. You really should contact these companies before they steal your idea.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Rich

PS: I just have to ask Mike if he has wrapped his car antenna yet?

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2006 05:54PM

...haven't wrapped an antenna, but my golf clubs are a riot!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:13AM

I got one of those antennas with a reel and guides on it for a gift, but my pickup is blue and the wraps are red; gonna marble those wraps before putting it on my truck...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: February 01, 2006 02:20AM

Randy,

You are too much! I bet you have a marbled entry way, and I bet its not marble.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster