I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clearcoating a blank
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:10PM

I have several All Star IM10X blanks that are the matte blue finish. I'd like to clearcoat these prior to building. What method and product would be best without adding much weight, of would polishing them be the best route? Anyone did a matte blue All Star?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clearcoating a blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:35PM

If it were me, I'd scuff the surface with grey Scotchbrite and then make two quick swipes, 180 degrees apart, butt to tip, with a piece of foam or cheesecloth saturated with Permagloss. If it needed it, I'd let the first coat dry an hour and then repeat once more. Again, two quick end to end swipes with Permagloss. Work fast, don't muss around with it, and let it stand for 3 to 4 days before wrapping.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:53PM

DR:
I do not put anything on rods, but read an article several years ago about clear coating rods. In the article the author would take rubber from an old inner tube for car tires and cut a big square out of it. Take a leather punch, and using the smallest hole. ( you have to use punch, if you try to cut hole will leave slit that will create a streaking effect on the blank.) Punch a hole in the center, then secure it in something like a needle point hoop. push the rod through the hoop down to the handle. Put a little puddle of finish in the center. The in one motion pull it up and off the rod. The rubber contracts as it travels up the rod leaving a perfect coating as it goes. By supporting the rod (tip up) were the handle goes it can be done in one pass with out any brush marks or thick and thin parts. The rubber acts like a squeegee to keep the finish thin and even. The only thing I don't remember was how he supported the blank.
notes:
Be ready as you clear the tip to put your hand under the hole so that no additional coating leaks out down onto the rod.
Wash and allow the tubing to dry before you use it.
Don't pull to fast, if you do a rubber band effect will happen and sling finish all over you.

Date: January 30, 2006 09:18AM

The inner tube trick sounds great, but I have to wonder if the guys writing about it have ever actually tried it. You have to find exactly the right combination of material and thickness. Most times, what happens is you either wipe the coating completely off, or leave it so wet that it sags and runs. The best I found was the rubber from a child's bungee ball balloon. Even so, after a few tries I dumped that method and went back to the swipes with Permagloss. Try it both ways, but I feel pretty sure which way will give you the best results.

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:23AM

Tom I have tried Dupli Color clear coat(an automotive spray available at auto part stores) and it seems to work well.I built a rod for may brother and he at first wanted the rod to have matte finish. The rod was wrapped and finished ready to fish when he asked if we could make it gloss. I heard about the auto clear coat and discovered it has a flex property built in. I sparayed the rod after a little scotch scuffing and it worked great. dHe has fished the rod several times with no loss of gloss. The clear coat seems to be pretty resistant to scratches as well. This is the only rod I have tried it on so I wouldn't reccomend it without some more research. Gregg

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 04:38PM

Thanks guys!!

I'll let you know how it went when time allows, these are for me so I'm not in any hurry :)

DR

Date: January 31, 2006 09:11AM

Spray coatings are certainly easy to apply. Permagloss doesn't come that way, unfortunately, and because it's the hardest I tend to stick with it and the wiping application. But any product that will do the job and that can be sprayed on certainly makes things much easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster