I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flat Braid Metallic Threads
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.kingtx.interconnect.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:40PM

I am using some of the Gudebrod Champion Metallic Flat Braid. I wanted to know if I use the same method for starting and finishing as using size A Thread?
What I need advice on is how many wraps do I need to make before pulling the starting end under the wraps to hold before I start making diamond wrap designs on the base of the rod.

Also how many turns do I need to make before pulling the end through when I am finished with the diamond wraps? To me it seems like the normal 5 to 7 wraps before pulling size A thread through to start or end a wrap would be too much for flat braid. Please advise me to the proper technique to installing flat metallic braid.
Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flat Braid Metallic Threads
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:55PM

The flat braids are usually only used in the butt wrap, not for tie-offs/ guide wraps.

Date: January 28, 2006 04:01PM

Jerry,
I am using the flat braid for the butt wraps only. I just needed information on how to start the wrap and how to end the wrap. I do not have any information in any of the books I have on rod wrapping. How do you start your wraps and end your wraps with the flat braid metallic? The only problem I have run into is: Do I tuck the flat braid under so many wraps as I would as using A size thread or is there another method I am unaware of?
Capt. Marvin Engel

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 04:23PM

i would think you tape it off start your butt wrap and then do final wraps at the ends when your butt wrap is finished i might be wrong though im sure someone will chime in

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 04:31PM

Maybe I don't understand...just spiral it on like a single thread, using tape to hold the ends. When you start to finish the wrap w/ tie-offs using normal thread, just feather out the braid, so it's not lumpy under the wrap.

Date: January 28, 2006 04:36PM

Jerry,
So what I need to do is tape the start then after I go down towards the base with the pattern and back up go over the start and tuck it under and pull it through just like using size A thread and trim off excess. Will this work?
Marvin Engel

Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 09:43PM

Marvin: Randy 'Putter' Parpart has a very nice DVD that shows you everything you are asking and more. I would contact him and ask about it.

Leon

Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:37AM

Marvin, I agree with Leon. Putter has a very good DVD which demonstrates how to create butt wraps with braided metallic thread.

- Sam

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:50AM

Marvin,

The threads (or braid) that is used to make decorative wraps is not part of the "tie off" procedure. When making decorative wraps, the ends are taped to the blank and when the design is completed a finish or "tie off" wrap is made to cover and tie off the ends. Kind of hard to explain (for me) but Ken Preston has an excellant pictorial tutorial on his web site [www.kensfishingrods.com] that should help you. While you are at his site [www.kensfishingrods.com] click on Worrkshop! There is a wealth of great info/tutorials that Ken has unselfishly shared. Great site and Great Guy.

There is also a very good tutorial by Billy Vivona on the vosual wrap site under "Step by Step" [www.visualwrap.com]

You might also consider getting a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman, a great book that takes you on step by step pictorial covering all aspects of rod building. It would be the best $15 you could spend.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 11:52AM

If the metallic or holographic braid material is used as a base, the braid is tied off by itself without using threads to do this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster