I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lightweight reel seat for 1wt
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 02:25PM

Now I'm sure to build the SIGIII 6'10 1wt. Thanks again for your help in an earlier thread.
I'm still not sure about the best suited reel seat. I like seats with nickel silver hardware and spacers of nice burl woods but I'm not sure if it adds too much weight to this little toy.
Can anybody help with the weight of the Struble U-25? Is it really lightweight?
What's about the Venneri Kaaterskill? ... really lightweight? Is the upper ring hidden into the cork?
... or better a cork seat with aluminium hardware?
So many questions ... any thoughts?
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lightweight reel seat for 1wt
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.60.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:17PM

The supplyer that you are buying the blank from should be able to help. he may have every thing you need also. Give him a call

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:25PM

Bill,
I discussed it with the supplier but I'm still not sure what I will do. Maybe I need some more opinions.
Stefan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.60.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:31PM

Try looking on the photo page under grips handles and seats. maybe you will see some thing you like.

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.115.---)
Date: January 28, 2006 03:37PM

Cork with sliding bands. Several sponsors handle them. REC & Jans both do (off the top of my head). You can't get any lighter.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:15PM

Check the REC CRNS (NIckel Silver) or CRAS (AL). The PLRN with its cork insert is very light.

btw, if you can turn cork, I've used the CRAS and turned a cork insert, it's very light.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.183.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:49PM

I second the cork REC , though my 1wt has the REC figured walnut (mourtised) with the nickle bands and cap . Once you strap a reel and line the rod , I don't think you will notice the difference(cork or wood) , even in a rod of that peteite calibur . Just my oppinion . Have a blast with that rod , I love mine ! John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:48AM

first off, decide immediately that you'll wrap a second version of that blank. see? imediately, the pressure to choose the "correct" seat for that one blank subsides. :-)

i find that nickle silver is pretty, but aluminum is nice too, and i find it grips better than NS. choose a lightweight wood insert. i like wood as a choice over cork. try redwood. when you glue the seat up (i use rodbond) use just enough to do the job, don't fill the entire inner area, it's not needed.

in the end, keep in mind the weight of the reel seat is minimal in affect or feeling because of its location. or at leats that's my unscientific feeling and if wrong please correct me. i like cap and ring. the one cork inserted reel seat i have i've never mounted since testing it with a reel on it left something to be desired for me. i simply could not get the band(s) to stay fixed in place by simply holding the assembled seat and reel in hand and slightly waving it about . it loosened constantly but many love this style so maybe it's just me and that one seat i have.

as an aside, many building that blank have used jann's all cork seat and handle combo. hard to beat the price.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 30, 2006 10:47AM

Stefan. There is no free lunch on this weight business. I have used all the reel seats mentioned above, except for the Venneri. If you really want to keep things light, you must use aluminum fittings with cork. Winding checks can be substituted for the bulkier rings. Wood and nickel silver is going to weigh as much as the blank. However, wood inserts and reel seats look very classy. You do have one extra option. The little Forbes Avon weighs 1.6 oz.. The next heavier reels are 2.2 oz., so you can fudge .6 oz. on the reel seat hardware and get the pretty set you seem to favor. If you don't care if the rod balances, don't worry about any of this. Don

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 08:40AM

The Venneri Kaaterskill is a VERY light weight seat.

I built a 0wt Sage SLT the other year and ended up putting a REC PLRN(cork insert seat with 2 NS slide bands),but after getting my hands on a Kaaterskill(I got a sweet UP/Downslide one with red tiger insert) I wish I had gone that route.There isn't enough of a difference in weight to worry about it in all honesty,especially if you pick the right reel(one that is well under 3oz) for the rod.

I plan on putting the Venneri on once the cork seat gets a bit chewed up(I can always turn another cork insert and use the NS hardware on it for another rod).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster