I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra Lite Reel Seat & Rod Grips
Posted by: James Willoughby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:03PM

Getting ready to build my first rod, here's my rod specs ...

6' Ultra Lite, Moderate Action, 1 Piece, 2-4 Line Wt., 1/16-1/4 Line Wt., 4 Tip, .335 Butt,

What I need are some recommendations on reel seats and size. I would like all black seats. Aluminum or graphite [Noot sure which is better?] As for size, I'm thinking about a 16mm size. Is that about right?

Also I would like all black EVA foam grips. I'm thinking about a 2" foregrip and 4 to 5" rear grip.
What size? Do I just look for length?

One more thing, What about arbors, Do I need them, do they come in different sizes? If so, what size for this rod spec?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Lite Reel Seat & Rod Grips
Posted by: James Willoughby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:34PM

I guess no takers, I do not have a measuring device. What kind of a device could I pick up at the local hardware store?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:46PM

I'd go with a 17 mm grapite reelseat, you'll find the diameter more comfortable. Custom Tackle and others have the grips, get the 1/4 inch ID size they stretch. They have 4 and 6 inch rear grips and 2 1/2 in foregrips. Ask them to give you an FlexCoat arbor for whatever reelseat you pick. Our sponsors are excellent in making sure you'l have all you need and you can come back here anytime with a question. The guide sizes will depend on your what reel your using, and there are free articles in the Library above that will help you greatly. Look at the new concept system and static guide placement articles especially.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup6.community-web.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 02:23PM

James,
This is a very good board with many rodbuilders of all experience levels who are glad to answer questions, but it would be best if you did a little homework on your own first and then ask questions. Every one of your questions has been answered repeatedly on this board and the answers can be had by: 1) Read the FAQ section 2) Using the search feature on the board, do searches for the answers to your questions. 3) Read the articles in the library section. 4) Look at the ccomponents offered by the sponsors to the left to decide what you need to build the rod you want.

But to save you a little time, you need a set of vernier calipers to measure the diameter of the blank and the various components. Aluminum reel seats are considerably heavier than graphite reel seats and are almost never used on ultra-lite rods. A size 16 reel seat would be the norm unless you have large hands. It's best to pick the reel seat more for the size that is comfortable in your hand than the diameter of the blank. Most builders would use either cork grips or a Tennessee grip on an ultra-lite. You need to be able to measure the OD of the rod blank at the place that the various components will fit. 1/4" bore is normally the smallest size that grips are bored for and you may find it difficult to find EVA in that bore size. To mount the reel seat you can use(depending on the amount of gap between the blank and the seat) arbors, thread, or mesh fiberglas sheetrock tape with Rod Bond to build up a custom arbor. Don't use masking tape. Arbors come i different sizes and should be bought to fit the size reel seat you choose. You then ream them to fit the rod blank.

Posted by: steve runyan (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 06:10PM

Many of the sponsors on the left will be able to help, but I'm most familiar with the Pac Bay components. Get EVA foam with a .250 i.d.- the rear one should fit fine but the front one may need shimming- just depends on the blank diameter where the foregrip will rest. Pac Bay number F2A4B is a 2.5" fore thats slightly tapered, matches the RB5A4B rear grip. F3A04b is a more rounded foregrip, slightly longer, matches RB8A4B nicely. Use a size 16 reel seat with cushioned hood, and sz 25, 20, 16, 12 10 8 guides. If you need a 7th guide, use a sz 6 and a sz 6 tip with 4mm tube. The hialoy guides are a good set that will handle anything including superbraids; if you want snazzier use a titanium ring with silicone carbide insert. Looks sharper, and it is a harder slicker material- it takes a very well tuned hand though to notice any performance difference. For lighter weight, and more felt performance difference, Fuji concept guides are great.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 09:31PM

In my opinion, sz. 16mm seats are way too small for most men's hands. Go with at least a 17mm or maybe even an 18mm. The best spinning seat I've ever come across is the Fuji NPS series. I mount them downlocking, and they're extremely comfortable. My favorite is the DNPSD in 18mm size. Have your supplier send some 18mm arbors with the seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster