I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WTB: Dan Craft FT 904-4
Posted by: Ken Tarner (---.nas2.knoxville1.tn.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:38PM

Hello guys,

Just wondering how much someone would charge me to build this rod. I'm not familiar with the different types of components to give specifics, but I would like it to be pretty light weight. Several years ago I had a Sage SP 4wt. GFL that had a phenolic spacer, aluminum reel seat and hard chrome guides. Something similar would be fine, but maybe an upgrade on the guides. I'm not looking for looks, just functionality and light weight. Thanks,

Ken in Tn
Acts 16:31

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB: Dan Craft FT 904-4
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 11:40PM

Hi Ken,
You could always take the plunge and build this rod yourself. Give Dan Craft a call or email him, his link is on the left. He is real easy to talk to and I'm sure he could either give you the info necessary to build the rod yourself or just build it for you. Either way he is a good place to start. After all, he does have the blank and all of the other necessary stuff.
Lynn
Santa Rosa,CA

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 01:40AM

The Sig V blanks are the light ones, the new FTL blanks I hear are a little lighter than the FTs. The FTLs are just coming out. Dan can hook you up with everything you need for a kit. The 8 ft. 9 in. Sig V 4 wt is one sweet blank.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 08:27AM

Ken,
If I understand your post, you are not a builder and want to know what it woud take to build this rod? The price of building any rod would consist of the cost of the compnents and the skill and labor of the builder. If you do not take the plunge yourself you can check the directory at the top of this site and click on your area to find a builder. I am located one state south of you and if I could be of any other assistance please E Mail me for advice or help in building it.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: January 28, 2006 09:50AM

I built Dan's new FTL 803-5 to take to a couple of ISE shows for a demo . I had a couple of casting instructors compare it to the Sage 389-SLT and both picked the FTL. In the words of one of them " This rod is better than s@x" Dan is talking about building them up to a 7 wt. and also making them available as a 4 piece.(at the moment they come in 5&6 piece) Dan has another big winner here.

I haven't done a CCS on it yet but it is definitely more parabolic than the FT series.

Posted by: wayne chubb (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 01:52PM

I'll echo (some of) Dennis' sentiments. While I wouldn't call it better than sex unless you're doing both wrong, it is one very sweet casting and accurate rod. And Ken, Dennis' work on both grips and weaves is incredible, if you're looking for someone to build a considerable upgrade to the rod you described.

Wayne Chubb
Fair Oaks, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster