I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brand of thread and sizes
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 07:06PM

Just getting started wraping rods and would like to know other brands of thread besides Gudebrod or Madera. Brand names always cost so much more than no names but are almost the same quility. Also what are the thread sizes and how are they measured.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brand of thread and sizes
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 08:38PM

Sulky is another. I have only used A size. Hancocks sometimes has Sulky on sale.

Hope this helps.

rhr

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 08:57PM

With somethings, there is a reason that people buy brand names. Often "penny wise is pound foolish" When it comes to thread in particular. There is a difference in sewing threads. Gudebrod, Madiera, Sulky, etc work fine as do others but you have to be aware of things. Nylon & Polyester are suitable for rod building, Rayon generally is NOT. 40 weight thread is close to size A thread. Threads like Madiera and other POLY threads that are made to be used in sewing machines generally have a coating for lubrication in the sewing machine and need to be coated wit CP or you are probably asking for trouble. There was a thread on this subject posted yeasterday, scroll down and reaad it.

IMO, thread is about the cheapest item in rodbuilding and to save about 50 cents a rod isn't really worth it unless you know it will work

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.48.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:25AM

Tim,

Mike Barkley's comments are correct. All rodmakers seem to be in a constant search for that elusive perfect thread color. But the quality of the thread is important--the thread holds the guides on the blank, not the finish we put on them.
There are some other brands you might want to consider: Rice Thread Company, Fish Hawk Thread, and National Thread Company. I have used the Rice thread in the two color classic twist and the colors differ a bit from the Gudebrod colors. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:47AM

Regarding GUDEBROD Threads, Sizes, Strengths (Tensile or Wraps) & Weight:

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [www.rodbuilding.org] (Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.) -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2006 11:50AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:13PM

Tim - why don't you go out there and buy all the other cheaper brands of thread, tst them on rods, then come back here and post results so we know how they all compare? At some point, SOMEONE had to take a chance and spend $2 on 1000 yards of thread to see if it worked.

History of Madeira Polyneon on the Internet - I first heard of Madeira thread from Al Goldberg in Jan 2000 or 2001 at a Rodcrafter Conneticuit Seminar. He only used the metallics. I called teh company, got a few samples, liked it, bought more and wrapped a coupel of rods with it. I showed up to teh RC NAtional that year with a couple of test wraps with teh Polyneon thread. Another builder, Big Macs rods, had a few wraps which used MAdeira Polyneon, and after speaking with I think his name was Tim - I realized that there was a lot of potential with this thread. I ordered more, started telling people about it on the Allcoast board, then started posting about it here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Unfortunately, the Allcoast board has changed & all the info I posted when I first started using it is gone. Here's some more info from SOL:
[www.stripersonline.com]

And some more from Noreast: [www.noreast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster