I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy duty stand up Help
Posted by: littleton Hudgins (---.myviscom.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:01PM

I am trying to figure out what blank I should use for a realy heavy stand up rod. The reel is an Avet T-Rex Wide. ( 100 lbs of drag). This set up will be used for very large sharks here in the gulf. We will be tagging these sharks so we need to get them to the boat fast. I am looking at using a short bent UB2 storabutt. As for the blank I was thinking about a Calstar T655XXH or T655TSS or RT130 Any suggetions would be great. Also I would like to hear your input concerning guides (roller) and placement.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy duty stand up Help
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:09PM

My choice would be the Baja Boomer, T6455XXH or like you say the TSS. I usually use Aftco SHDs. Placement would depend on whether you cut the rod or not.

Posted by: littleton Hudgins (---.myviscom.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:55PM

Thanks for the Reply. The lenght will be Five foot or shorter. I am looking at 4 foot 10 inches over all ( Straight Line) I am still looking into what to take off the top and botem. as for guides Aftco big foots or the Alutecnos Type 3 80/130.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 05:13PM

70% butt-30% tip, thats what i cut my last one at

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:12PM

Here is a thread from a West Coast rodbuilding board which happens to sow a Gulf Coast bent butt heavy stand up rod. He is using AA @#$%& Spiral Acid Rollers and a Calstar GF7455XXH cut to 4'9"
[www.allcoastsportfishing.com]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 28, 2006 12:46PM

If you're not stuck on a bent butt, then do a blank-through-butt style with an 8" plastic sleave. I would not recomend a straight unibutt for 'real', heavy stand-up fishing. The straight unibutts are too long whereas the 8" slick butt will put your reel closer to the gimble/pivot point.

The Baja Boomer is a good blank as are the Grafighters in 755xxh & 7455xxh. For a through-the-butt configuration I'd cut approximately 5 inches off the butt and 2 inches from the tip give or take a 1/2 inch in either direction. For the bent unibutt you'd probably be looking at 2-3 inches from the tip and the remainder from the butt to give you your overall desired length.

Chances are you'll be looking at 4 guides. Like Doc said, look into the AFTCO SHDs. Something like a 52, 42, 32, 32, plus tip. If you're using a 12" or a 14" grip you'll be putting the 52 almost right up against it. I recomend no more than a 12" grip as you'll be using a harness for this type fishing and won't be touching the grip during the fight anyway.

WARNING: For your safety (and unsuspecting anglers) don't go out with that T-RX and think you'll be able to push it up to 100# of drag while standing up...it just isn't going to happen. Even for VERY experienced stand-up fishermen 60# is usually 'close' to their limit. Someone like Dennis Braid may venture over the 60# mark, but it's not for everyone. I personally don't like to stand up with more than 50#...40-45# is even too much at times. These are 'real' drag pressures and can be extremely dangerous. Best of luck.

Jay

Posted by: Harold Lang (70.134.217.---)
Date: January 28, 2006 11:47PM

I was fortunate to get into the West Coast big tuna bite in December and really pull on my gear. The 6455XXH is just too soft for >30# of drag. I broke a 655TSS which was old and maybe took a bump at one time, a bit softer than the Boomer, but not much. I like the Baja Boomer which handles 40+# of drag with more to spare.
I don't know about the 7455XXH, but it should have more shut off than the 755XXH. These graphite rods may provide the greatest amount of pulling power.
The only IGFA rated rod (like the 130) I've used, bent more parabolic, like the 655 series.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: January 29, 2006 12:23PM

As far as the short bent butt, I have been told that the bent butt puts more pressure on the fish and less on the angler because of the angle of the rod. It also helps the angler by putting him/her within easy reach of the reel. Don't know myself and haven't yet built one. . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster