I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule fit/ Clicking sound
Posted by: Charlie Moe (---.usiouxfalls.edu)
Date: January 27, 2006 09:56AM

Looking for a little help for a first time rod builider. Building on a Rainshadow RX7 2 pc Blank. When I fit the two pieces of the rod together the fit of the ferrule seems to be tight but when the rod flexes there is a clicking sound coming from inside the rod, like the male part is binding against the female part or the fit isnt right inside. Is there anything I can do about this or am I SOL?? Thanks!! Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule fit/ Clicking sound
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:30AM

If the male portion fits snugly at its base against the female section, then most likely the tip of the male is loose inside the female portion. You can fix this by trimming the female end slightly and then rechecking for fit. If you decide to go this route, don't overdo things - trim an eighth of a inch and check. If that isn't enough, trim another eighth and check again. What you have here are two different tapers - the male being just a tad steeper than the female and you're trying to get them to more closely match.

Conversely, if the male seems snug on the top end inside the female and you can see that the female is not quite snug at the bottom where it joins the mail, the fix is to trim just a hair from the top end of the male ferrule.

I'm not sure a first time rod builder needs to be messing around with fitting ferrules and for that reason, the easiest fix for you is just to return the blank and ask for a replacement. I have no doubt that the folks at Batson Enterprises will fix you up with a new blank or take care of that ferrule problem for you on their end.

Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:44AM

Funny (not so) coincidence. I just purchased a Batson Forecast on @#$%&, a 4 pc., 5wt, and when assembled it to give it a little wiggle, it did the very thing you described. In fact, I couldn't tell if it was originating in one or two of the joints. I tried assembling it tighter, and even marked the spine, assembled and aligned, and still the 'rattle' persisted. I've built a couple rods recently— none on Batson blanks— and none exhibited this 'looseness' in the ferrules. I believe the blank was an F-865-4DB. I contacted the @#$%& seller and he said I could return it to him for a refund, but h had no replacement for it. He suggested i call Batson Enterprises which I did. The people at Batson were very nice about returning my call, and as I described the problem and the blank to him (Matt) he determined that I had been sold a two-year old blank that they no longer made, and if I sent it to them, they would replace it with an equivalent. I haven't recieved the new on yet, but I have to say my first experience with Batson product quality-control was not good, but they seem willing to resolve my situation quickly nontheless (although I'm out another $10 on shipping costs).

Origin of blanks
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 10:56AM

It's just my opinion but I think a high percentage of the blanks made in the orient are not quite up to the same quality standards as those made here in America. You get a lower price but IMO the quality of things like ferrule fitting is not nearly as good. Just my .02 and not in any way a stab at Batson or the other companies that bring in the stuff from the orient. Some of it is pretty good but if I have my druthers I try to buy American made blanks.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 01:12PM

Charlie,
Please contact Matt in Customer Service/Warranty Department of Batson Enterprises. I would suggest sending the blank back for a replacement. Please call and we will make sure you are taken care of.
Jim,
The Blank you purchased was one of the older Forecast blanks, this is one of the reasons we changed Manufacturers on that particular product line. We have had great success with the new line as the fit & finish is much better. That was really nice of Matt to say we would replace the Blank, as most of the older models were discounted to get rid of them.. Let me know when you get your replacement as Customer Service & satisfaction is something we strive to excel in.
Shawn,
IMHO the Rainshadow/Forecast product line is the best we have ever distributed. We do carry the USA made RX8+ & RX7+ line For those whose want the Best US made blanks avaiable.

We have strick Quality Controll but some times things slip through..

Please feel free to contact us anytime in regards to the Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines. We thank you for all of your support. " The Vision Continues" through the support of everyone,.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Products
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson @batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Walter Willoughby (---.elpaso.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:59PM

Just wanted to chim in here. I have had problems with fly blanks made in the US from the big 5 companies as well. However, I have built more Baston Rainshadow/Forecast blanks than any other and not had any more problems (probably less) with them. Like Bill Baston said, things sometimes do slip through. I will add this is true in all companies. The quality from the orient is dependent upon the US supplier, their specs and how much they assure those specs are adhered to. I appreciate a company like Baston who provides me with a quality product at a reasonable cost and also stands behind what they sell. Of course the big 5 companies also stands behind their product it just that their product costs me and or my customers more money. Bill keep up the good work.

Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:33PM

My reply to Charlie's post was not meant to be a broad generalization about Batson quality control. I have very limited contact with the product so I can only relay my current experience. I will say that having seen Bill Batson post on this board in the past, his attitude toward product quality and customer service goes way beyond what most of us consumers have experienced in the world at large— especially since many of us who buy his products are 'hobbyists' and aren't likely to significantly affect Batson's bottom line either way. Being in the marketing and 'branding' business myself, I would commend Bill for the attention he pays to builiding a strong brand backed by his own name.

FYI: I just purchased an RX7 2 wt from Fishsticks about 2 hrs. ago. It's going to be great, right?

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:11PM

Batson Enterprises is very proud to bring the finest of blanks & components to the industry. We are commited to this industry from the OEM level to the Custom Rodbuilding level. Everyone of our customers may it be from the largest OEM in the country to the hobbyist is important to us.I do not care if you purchase $500,000.00 or $50.00 worth of Batson produts you will receive the same treatment. We currently are one of the largest suppliers in the industry but we come from a very humble beginning as Custom Rodbuilders. This is why I feel we are different from other companies, we do not just buy and sell products. We develop, design and use the products we distribute. We have a passion that is (IMHO ) unparallel in this industry.
Every vendor that works for Batson Enterprises must meet strict criteria for us to put our name on it. If you use Batson products know that you are not just getting another component but you are getting the collective idea of over 50 years experience in this industry.
As I have stated may times - If you ever have any questions in regards to the Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast product line please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for all of your support - "The Vision Continues " & will for generations to come....
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Products
877-875-2381
batson@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Walter Willoughby (---.elpaso.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:53PM

Bill in now way did I mean to imply your company was small when I referred to the "big 5". By the big 5 I meant the major off the shelf rod companies that we see when we visit our fly shops and every one knows. Your company is IMO one of the best I know of for the products I use and I know it does lots of buisness. Although, to be fair, the sponsers of this forum are all very good.

For example, the week before Christmas I was finishing my last rod order for the holidays. I decided to add some rubberized cork to the seat end butt cap which was machined from matching burl used for the insert for protection. I decided I needed a very sharp blade to cut the cork with on my Taig lathe. I was stupid enough to tighten the blade with the tool holder off the lathe and in my hand and not use my band saw. Well, you guessed it. It slipped and I cut my left index finger into the bone slicing through the flexor tendon. My surgeon asked how it happened and I told him. Turns out he is a fly fishing nut with about 30 rods and gave me great care. He asked if I used blank X and blank Y when building. I told him sometimes if a customer requests it but most of the times not. He then asked if my rods performed as good as X and Y with blank Z. Having ego as a personality fault, I told him they perform better in a joking manner. Figuring it would be good advertising, I gave him a rod that was pre-built for myself but never used. It was a RX8+ 9' 5wt. Yesterday on my follow up visit, he was amazed at how the rod performed and has ordered another one when my finger is healed enough to wrap.

Thanks again to all the sponsers of this forum.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 09:22PM

bill batson,,you guys are great.. tell matt thanks for me too..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster