I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod blank - 'Hatteras Heaver replacement"
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 07:28PM

From what I was told during the last show by another rod builder there is / will be a new rod blank to challenge the original 1500 series "Hatteras heaver". A 13 foot "English style" ( 9 foot tip section / 4 foot butt section). It's supposed to be nearly pure carbon fiber, very light/small diameter. Perhaps someone down on OBX can fill everyone in. ??? Wheelers Reels???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod blank - 'Hatteras Heaver replacement"
Posted by: fred marcuson (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:29PM

there is 2 of them , the nail & the inferno.....
'wheels reels' is the maker , i don't want to post his web site because he isn't a sponser .
hopefully clyde will jump in with more info ,he has built some of them. i have thrown the nail & it is sweet :)

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:32PM

He's making the "Nail" and another blank called the "Inferno".

I have an Infero right here in front of me. Light in weight it is not - it weighs in at 1lb 15oz with seven alconite guides, reel seat, cork tape grip and at fancy wrap. The blank is powerful and is not easy to load during the cast, but will launch a heavy payload with ease. The blank walls on the butt section are quite thick. I'd hate to hold the rod lengthy periods while fishing the point.

The action and feel of blank reminds me of the old Allstar SS1508-2, a powerful heaver. I have one of those hanging on my wall too.

Tommy Wheeler makes them. I have his ph number if anyone is interested...

Lou

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:34PM

BTW, Inferno is not for me. It's finished and will be out othe door in 1-2 days...

Lou

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 01:51PM

Very POWERFUL blanks. While they are not the lightest, their power is simply amazing. The more I throw these things the more I like them. The recovery is just incredible. They WILL outcast anything else on the market with 8-n-bait by a large margin. This isn't hype, just fact. It takes a good caster to fully load them and get the distance, but IF you can load it you'll definately see an increase in distance. The INFERNO is perfect for 8-n-bait but will still handle 10oz as well as any other blank on the market. The NAIL is a true beast. I imagine you could throw a pound with it if you're man enough. They are both casting machines!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster