I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tax Form 720 revised
Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:23AM

Yesterday I recieved the new Form 720 packet from IRS. Part II, pertaining to fishing etc, is broken down further into Sport fishing equipment, Fishing Rods and Fishing poles, then Fishing Tackle boxes. A note on line 110 (Fishing rods and Fishing poles is "(maximum tax of $10)". The form is easy to read, understand and calculate.
So for you business people, take alook at the new form 720 (rev10-2005) part II, it finally makes things easy for us. If you sell items other than rods, like reels and tackle including tackle boxes, the dollars breakout easier for you on the form....
If you haven't recieved the new form it'll be coming to ya soon, but you can look it up on the IRS form site.
Remember, the FET taxes we collect and pay are important for the continued operations of our local fisheries as 98% of the FET are returned to your state fisheries program.
God Bless America,

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tax Form 720 revised
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:29AM

I have a suggestion in to them at this time as I think the new form may confuse some folks. It should read "maximum tax $10 per rod" instead of just "maximum tax $10."

Also, instead of simply listing "10% of sales" they should at least include a mention of the 60% rule (Constructive Sales Price) so builders do not overtax their customers. They do not mention this in the included instructions, but it is still a valid part of the Sport Fishing excise tax code.

Date: January 26, 2006 12:15PM

Yes, I agree with you on the language, but we use the form regularly should also have the accompanying booklet. Presuming, one has a tax ID and has read the booklet he/she would know how to assign the FET to each sale.
Furthermore on page 6 of the booklet of instructions the directions are clear but conveniently leaves out the 10% of 60% ruling.

thanks for your insight

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 01:32PM

LOL you could always move over to england over here its Value Added Tax at 17.5% on luxery items (like chocolate which personally i class as a nessessity but the tax office doesnt seem to agree )

Date: January 26, 2006 01:53PM

I lived in England (Newbury, Berks) for three years, familiar with the VAT, but holy smokes ! 17.5 % ! ! ! Course our FET is on top of any state and local sales taxes added to the final price...

I'm even tying the Diawl fly and learning about the Boobie fly.

Ta !

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 06:28PM

this is good info.i did a search on this subject but i didn't find too much.if you guys have any more info on these things can you direct me to them?i am a starter of a new custom rod building buisness as of today.this is my first time ever starting a legit buisness. i am lost on where to obtain the info on keeping my records and steps which should be taken to make sure i do everything right.thanks..

Date: January 26, 2006 07:28PM

That information can be found in a past issue of RodMaker - I can't remember off the top of my head which one, however. Go to the online library and check the RodMaker index for the article on the Sportsfishing Excise Tax.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 08:37PM

Tom,

Won't you be giving a workshop on this in Charlotte?

Bill in WV

Date: January 26, 2006 09:35PM

Yes, thanks for mentioning it. I guess I forgot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster