I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7'6" Muskie Rod & Forcast Guides/Underwrap
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:18PM

Building two of these for my brother in law who fishes the Moon River in Canada. He trolls and casts. Using 8-9 guides, not sure yet, but I have two questions since I'm not that familar at all about Muskie fishing. These blanks are like pool sticks and he said thats what he wants!

1. Using Forcast baitcasting guides for the first time. I've noticed the feet have been pre-prepped from the factory. How much more work should I do on the feet?

2. Wish to do a underwrap on the guides and diamond. Is there any reason why a muskie rod should not have underwraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7'6" Muskie Rod & Forcast Guides/Underwrap
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:50PM

A-1: As much (or as little) additional prep as needed. YMMV.
A-2: No - Underwrap to your heart's content. That "pool cue" is a weapon, not a fairy wand. Extra weight is not an issue. Boldness or strength is. ... IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++

www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
BATSON ENTERPRISES DEALER
RAINSHADOW / FORECAST
Owner: Robert TIGNOR
Partner: Captain Ray BROWN
Associate: Kevin P. SMITH

Robert Tignor
(804) 746-0053 ...
Best Bet / Home Office: (804) 746-9711 ...

Robert Tignor
Fishsticks, Inc.
7268 Arrow Stone Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
(804) 746-0053

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 04:59PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:38PM

Haven't seen a guide yet that doesn't need a pretty good amount of prep! You should go for a fine edge and a gradual slope with no "hump" in the foot. He doesn't really need a pool cue, but if that's what he wants..........
I don't know if you can talk him into it, but on all my musky rods, I do a bumper spiral wrap and on the bottom, I go with size 8 BLAG type guides (ceramic fly type) Forhan wrap, except for maybe the first one. He will appreciate the spiral wrap and light guides when fighting the fish. On my personal musky rods (and for people that I know don't abuse their rods), I use ALL single foot guides with a Forhan wrap. Most musky rods are way overbuilt, IMO. There just isn't very much stress put on the guides

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:42PM

Rodger that Cliff. I'm a product of the south, live in Atlanta. Muskie fishing is something I'm not familiar with. Since these sticks can also be used as spears for hog hunting, I did'nt think weight was much of a factor but wanted to consult with my northern brethren beforehand. As a lifelong fuji man, I must say I like the Forcast guides thus far. Quality looks first rate. Must also put a plug in here for Robert at FishSticks4U. Great guy to do business with. The source of my materials for this job. Would'nt have known about FishSticks if it was'nt for this website. Thanks again....

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: January 25, 2006 08:23PM

Prep your guides no matter what they look like. You can always make them look better. And one crappy foot's worth of wrapping and rewrapping will eat up ALL the time and then some you would have spent prepping the foot in the first place.

No need for underwraps on a Muskie stick. Sure you could. Especially if you're looking for some color contrast or pattern. But it is certainly not necessary.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster