I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

buttwraps?
Posted by: kim nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: January 25, 2006 12:44PM

Ok guys, How on earth do I mark the dots on a 6 axis layout?
For example a 6 axis chevron, how do I set it up?
I know how to make a 8 axis but a 6 axis is not the same or is it?
On a 8 axis the startlines i write on the rod is opposite eachother, easy to mark the dots, but on a 6 axis I will have to count it somehow to get the dots to match huh?
I will figure it out on my own but with you guys and youre experience I will save some time, and this one is in kind of hurry...
It´s going to be a 6 axis optical scale wrap like the one in the photopage here on this site.
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
-Kim-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: buttwraps?
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:56PM

Since none of the buttwrap guru's are responding to your question, I'll tell you how I did several. Put on the first to 180 deg opposite dot. Then I just put two more equi-distant between each orig dot. It wasn't hard to eyeball it to get them equi-distant. ended up with 6 dots then just duplicated these down the blank at whatever distance apart you wish. It worked for me.

Re: buttwraps?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:17AM

FOR 90-DEGREE SQUARE DIAMONDS: Isn't it ?

TWO AXIS: DELTA = (PI / 1) * OD(i) [ex: 60 mm]

FOUR AXIS: DELTA = (PI / 2) * OD(i) [ex: 30 mm]

SIX AXIS: DELTA = (PI / 3) * OD(i) [ex: 20 mm]

where:
DELTA = the distance between the centers of the diamonds, or intersection of analogous cross or layout threads
PI = 3.14159...
OD(i) = the Outside Diameter of the rod blank (+ underwrap) at the i-th center from the foregrip end of the wrap.

That is what Jim Kastorff has said in words above. ... Also, these six axes will replicate at 60 degree intervals around the rod blank. Watch for drift, which would be hard to control for. The "busy-ness" of the pattern may mask or accentuate that.

Using a perfect square diamond shape makes it easier for a multi-axis wrap to fit onto the rod blank without the inevitable distortion (due to the rod taper) of the diamond's shape and open-free-space between the bandwidths. This may be especially critical if you are closing a 6-axis wrap.

Using the Clemen's Taper Offset Layout (TOL) Method for Center Spacing is recommended. It can be found in Clemens' CTRA (Custom Rod Thread Art), pages 21-23

Also, you may want to read Dave Boyle's recent comments:
Re: Laying out ... David Boyle ... Jan. 22, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Dave Boyle is "Mr. VisualWRAP", the ultimate PC program for cross-wrap planning.

Good Luck, Kim, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster