I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is everything available in Charlotte?
Posted by: Trey Gurley (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:47AM

Hello All. First time posting on this great board.

I didn't go to Charlotte last year, but plan on going this year.

My question is this. Is everything available there to build fly rods, meaning not only blanks, but components, cork, handle, guides, etc. as well.

I want to build a 4pc 8wt and 11 or 12 wt and was wondering if is worthwhile to wait to until the end of Feb. or if those items are not available that is a month I could going ahead and build these rods by ordering from one of the board sponsors.

Thanks

Trey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is everything available in Charlotte?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:56AM

Chances are, if they make it for rod building, you will be able to buy it at the show. You are in for an amazing treat. You can also contact any of the sponsors that will be there and I'm sure they would be glad to bring anything in particular that you want and save you the cost of shipping.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:00AM

Your problem will be choosing amongst all of those possible components to build that rod; there's so much of all of this, you're gonna be boggled... LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:21AM

I had to chuckle to myself just a little when I read your post. Trust what these guys are telling you - anything and everything that is produced for custom rod builders will be for sale in Charlotte. Well... there might be a few items that aren't there, but not very many. It doesn't matter if you want a particular type of grip, finish, guide style or type or size, or even a rod wrapping lathe or jig, it's all there. In fact, there is no place in the world what will have more rod building supplies than the National Rod Builders Show next month. I'll go so far as to say that you probably won't have time to see everything there.

One last note - we expect something along the lines of 7,000 to 8,000 rod blanks to be on hand this year. Does that tell you anything about the size and scope of this event?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:47AM

Off the top of my head, I know the exact components you are looking for were in Charlotte last year at Ron Schneider's Rod Shop booth, the Mudhole booth, Custom Tackle Supply's booth, and the Donart booth. Plus Blanks & cork grips were available from the LAmar Booth. You could also see someof the new products in guides & reelseats from PAc Bay, Amtak, Rainshadow, Flex Coat & U 40. I'm sure I missed someone, which I apologize. St. Croix had a display of I dunno 30-40 new blanks?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:54AM

We'll have at least 1500-2000 blanks in our booth alone, plus new finish, cork rings, grips reelseats, a new adhesive product as well as some really cool tools....and more?

I am also hoping to have 2 CTS fly blanks built for you guys to test cast

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:58AM

Would the viewers of this board please identiy those items that you would not expect to see in Charlotte. If there is ANYTHING that has been overlooked send me a personal email and we just might try to accomodate you. Under no circumstances are you to copy Mr. Dear with this request.

Gon Fishn

Date: January 24, 2006 11:05AM

There were no headband magnifiers at the Charlotte show last year.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 24, 2006 11:24AM

There will be this year. In fact, there will be one vendor with nothing but lights and magnifiers for rod building work.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:35AM

I feel guilty about this sometimes since they arent a board sponsor, and while I'm going to Charlotte to among other things find alternatives to the blanks I currently use, I'm a bit partial to the Cabela's fish eagle II casting blanks 'cause thats all I've chanced upon so far for that kinda money - I can afford them AND they do what I want with at price AND style that I cant find a match for...YET. Also I do worry about wasting money on blanks/ shipping, etc that I havent seen touched before. But I guess Cabela's doesnt participate :( so I won't find these at Charlotte. Anyway, you asked. PS - I do get ALL my other building supplies from Sponsors on this board, as I'm sure they can attest to (as well as my credit card company) , and I'm phsyched to be going to Charlotte!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 11:40AM by Steven Libby.

Date: January 24, 2006 11:40AM

Cabelas could have gotten booth space if they wanted, but they didn't. And nobody is going to blast you for mentioning them. Cabelas is a reputable company that offers good products.

The only thing I would say, is that there are equally good blanks for the same or often less money, available from many of the sponsors and from nearly all the dealers who will be in Charlotte. I feel more than a little confident that you'll find many blanks to your liking, and in your price range, at the big show.

Date: January 24, 2006 11:47AM

I combined Bill Stevens request for what won't be there, with Putters mention of a headband magnifyer, and the general love for Beer all Rodbuilders seem to have, to wonder why nobody has thought about taking this and adding a headlamp magnifyer to it:

[engsoc.queensu.ca]

Come on. you guys gotta think outside the box once in a while, lol.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:51AM

ROFL - Why does that beer look like grape juice?!?!?

Posted by: Trey Gurley (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:55AM

Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

I guess the consensus is that I may get lucky and scrape together enough parts to put a rod together. LOL

Date: January 24, 2006 11:59AM

Trey, just bring your smile ( and lots of money!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 24, 2006 12:16PM

You can probably just pick up enough stuff off the floor, dropped by rod builders on the way out to their cars, to build a dozen rods.

I'm joking of course, but the amount of product on display and the amount actually purchased is going to amaze you. I watched guys toting armloads of blanks and sacks of components out of the hall, only to see them back an hour later carrying additional armloads of goods out the door. We know for a fact that no less than $60,000 worth of blanks and components were purchased on the show floor last year. That should give you some sort of idea how much stuff is there.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 12:31PM

Billy,
Looks like a great seller for the N.E.R.B.'s nooth

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 02:49PM

I hope all the looters that robbed our boats after Katrina do not hear of all the booty in the parking lot at Charlotte.

Gon Fishn

Date: January 24, 2006 03:03PM

There were girls in the Parking lot in Charlotte? Where was I? They must've been spokewomen for the Log Cabin show. Add that to your list of things missing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster