I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod for Bass (7/8???)
Posted by: Steve Erickson (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:11PM

I know there are a ton of experienced anglers and rod builders who regularly use this site so I am curious to see what your opinions are.

I am going to build a fly rod for my father who would like a rod for large mouth and small mouth fishing (and occasionally northern pike). He currently has an 8.5 or 9 foot 8 wt older fiberglass rod. Needless to say it is quite heavy in comparison to the newer graphite rods. The two main considerations for picking a blank are weight and action. He likes to cast large poppers and such and would like a fast action rod. Is a 7 wt to light for these large flies? I would like to build a lighter rod but not if it compromises his ability to fish these larger flies

So I guess my questions are as follows:

Would you recommend a 7 or 8 wt?

Do you have any blanks you particularly like and would be willing to recommend?

By the way, he almost alway fishes from a boat so for length should I go with a 9 foot blank?

Thanks to all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod for Bass (7/8???)
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:01PM

I am building a rod for a friend in Florida. He fishes from a Sit On Top Kayak in a nearby lake where the Bass are healthy and run up 8 lbs and more. He has fly fished for years for Stripers and freshwater Bass and was specific in requesting a 4 piece rod in the 7-8 weight class. I chose to build on an Allstar Elite 908-4 which I bought from Andy Dear at the Charlotte Show last year. I really should run the CCS on it but I can tell it is faster than a Forecast of the same designation. The blank is very straight and I am confident the rod will give my friend the advantage he needs to turn the head of those Bass. If Andy (Lamar Reel Seats in the Sponsor List ) has more of these blanks you can't beat the bang for the buck.
Dave

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:02PM

Personally I like a slower action 7 weight rod for bass fishing. I find it easier to cast large flies with them. I like a rod made using IM6 graphite if I can find one. PacBay used to sell an inexpensive blank but I think now they have done away with the IM6 and gone to an IM7 blank. What I am telling you is only my opinion and the IM6 works well with my style of casting. I do own a couple of fast action blanks which I use when it is windy. I tried a TFO factory rod which was a 7 weight but the rep had it loaded with 8 wwight line. The day we were casting it was somewhat windy and it was very easy to cast. I think TFO now sells their blanks.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:04PM

OOPS!!!
I meant to say the Allstar Elite Blank is a 7 weight ... not an 8 weight. Sorry for the confusion.
BEF 907-4
Dave

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:08PM

If he wants to fish pike with it as well, go with the 8 wt. The flies we use for Northerns are much more problematic to cast on windy days in open water when you're shooting for distance than the poppers we use for largemouth. The 7 wt would be fine for most large mouth poppers. For smallies I like something lighter but it depends on the average fish size that you will be encountering. Just remember that you can use a larger rod for smaller flies but you can't easily use a smaller rod and line wt. for larger more wind resistant flies. A 9 ft in fast to moderate fast action would be ideal.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:13PM

Ellis, a lot of the TFO rods tend to run on the powerful side and such work well when overlined by a weight higher for most normal casting distances. That rep knew what he was doing.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:23PM

I agree with Dave Gilberg on the Allstar 7's. I got two from Andy. I have tied up one for myself and am making one for a good personal friend. We will use these to fish for redfish or bass. It is my favorite fly rod at the present time. I checked Pac Bay and they still make an IM6 in the Tradition II series. It is an inexpensive blank with the action similar to the Allstars, moderately fast. I am comparing them with an old Loomis which is a canon.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 06:27AM

I made a 9'6" 8wt for salmon/steelhead on big rivers with long heavy sink tips. Found it was perfect as well for big bass poppers. It is a St. Croix SCIV, fast action, very powerful, and shoots those big poppers like a bullet with pin point accuracy.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 08:24AM

I would be going with the 8 weight. Especially if there are going to be Pike in the mix. For big bugs and bunnies I really think you need a 8 weight. Bunnies get heavy when they're wet.

Look at the Scientific Anglers Pike taper line. Its got a heavy head and really delivers the groceries.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:31AM

If northerns will be thrown into the mix, and some are particularly large in your area, I would negate the 7wt completely and look more towards an 8 or 9wt. I live up in PA (Erie to be exact) right on the lake. I fish a lot of my time on presque isle, particularly the bay side. We have a tremendous smallmouth fishery, and a majority of those fish some into the bay to spawn. They average anywhere from 4-8lbs and are tough as nails. Springtime is the best time to target northerns as well as the weed growth isnt bad yet. I'll only throw a 9wt during this time. The 4lb smallies even give the 9 wt a workout. in the summer ill transition to an 8wt for top water bass. Its probably worth noting that we throw some pretty big bugs for both the smallies and northerns usually nothing smaller than size 4 flies. Most often its 2/0 clousers and bunny leaches. Take a look at the Dan Craft FTs as part of your selection. Awesome blanks and you can toss these big flies a country mile pretty easily w/ em.
Kyle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster