I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cheap Guides
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 07:59PM

As a novice rodbuilder, I've learned that one of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten was from Tom Kirkman's rodbuilding book, and that is to ignore spacing charts, and to determine guide placement (and what size they should be) through experimentation and trial and error. If we strive to be craftsmen as rod builders, and to construct better products than the factories, we need to be recognize ways that we can build better rods, and test casting/experimentation is perhaps the main thing that will set us apart from the mass producers, whether we're building rods for ourselves (like me) or for others.

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that a necessary corollary of this philosophy is that we, as rodbuilders, must have many guides of many different sizes; without a large array, one may be stuck without that one crucial guide during testing, and lacking the "final piece" of the puzzle (usually a fifty-cent guide), you may be forced to improvise, which, of course, leads to less-effective results.

Since I build only surf rods, I've settled on Fuji aluminum oxide guides, which I actually use on my finished rods; I carry many of them from size 8 to size 50. But surely there must be a more cost-effective method -- to test cast with cheaper guides, and use better stuff when you're actually building the rod.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cheap Guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 08:37PM

Find some old used, broken rods, etc., and strip off the guides. Most guides on rods these days are of one or two very popular styles - the Fuji casting or spinning frame style (NSG or SVSG type, double and single foot styles). Used guides in the full array of sizes are just as good as new ones for set up purposes. As long as the rings as sound so you can test cast, the overall look or condition of the frame won't matter much.

On the other hand, doing what you did and considering it the same buying a "tool" for guide spacing and placement, can be considered just one of the small start up costs when getting started in rod building. I think it's an excellent idea although I'm sure many will still see it as an expense they'd rather not bother with. So, used take-off guides could be the answer.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 08:58PM

Chris,

Your email address is hidden. Fix that in "My Control Panel" at the top of the posts, and I'll send you something that may interest you.

Bill in WV

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:24PM

Chris,

Check your email. I sent you a link. Just another note, some folks strip these down and sell the guides and handles on one of the popular @#$%& sites.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster