I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ist fly rod
Posted by: Mike Ryan (---.bendcable.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 02:59PM

I am currently building my ist fly rod . It is kind of a special use rod. I am not a purist, I will use this rod to troll flies from my boat. The rod is a cascade rx7 8'6" 2pc, 7wtI am using fuji tnsg16 & tnsg 10 guides for strippers and tsg7's & 8's for the rest. my question is, my second stripper land directly on my ferrule wrap. Should i just incorperate this guide into this wrap, or should I drop one single foot guide and respace my guides. I am concerned about creating a flat spot in the blank. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, this is my first post, I think this is a great forum and I procur many great ideas from it. Thanks, MIKE

fishmanmike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ist fly rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:04PM

Guides on the ferrule wrap are a good thing. You've got it made.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 04:18PM

put the guide on the ferrule. when you run a line through the guides and put a bend in the rod by pulling on the line(like when a fish is on) the stress will peak somewhere between each guide. where depends on the rods taper. the lowest stress on the rod will be at the guide since the line putting a pressure on the guide provides a counter force that is the oposite of the force that is generated at the apex of the curve between the guide. the force vector is to the outside of the curve. on the guide the force vector is offset by an oposite force vector going to the inside of the curve. in some cases the weekest point in the rod is at the ferrule. if the ferrule were located at the apex of a curved section of rod you would be peaking the stress at the ferrule. by having a guide there you are reducing the stress at the ferrule. it is still important that you wrap as close to the end of the ferrule as possible so as to provide hoop strength and prevent splitout at the end of the open end of the female ferrule. by the way the guide should be on the female side.

Date: January 23, 2006 10:16PM

Thank you kindly for your response, I think i will Wrap the ferrule section for its full length and just incorporate the guide into it. I hope to design my trim bands so that it doesn't end up looking like a giant guide wrap!

fishmanmike

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 11:06AM

I think you can get away with a shorter wrap. i have built some rainshadows and in my opinion the ferrule is strong enough for a wrap about 1.5 times the diameter. that should be about the length of a normal guide wrap, or maybe just a little longer.

Date: January 24, 2006 02:27PM

Thanks Larry, I'll let you know how it turns out.

fishmanmike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster