I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Grips
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:40PM

Thinking about getting into the world of wood grips and need a little guidance from the pros out there.

First....I could use a recommendation as to where I can find basswood and balsa rods of 1-1/2" diameter and reasonable quality to turn into rod grips. With me weight is not an issue as I am building casting rods with split grip designs so the wood will serve as caps to the reel seat and an end section of the grip toward the but. I would prefer to use these woods due to their light weight, ease of use, and grain properties.

Second...I have to assume that the best way to produce said grips is from rings cut from the wood rod that are individually bored to fit the rod blank by using a step drill bit. I could use some advice as to how to go about cutting the rings other than a miter box and saw.

Third....Do any of you happen to know of a pigment or stain that can be added to true oil to tint it various colors...I build a lot of rods for kids so the brighter the better. I know that there are wood stains in a variety of colors, but they are often expensive and sold in too large a quantity for me to handle right now.

I have a Rotozip system and an older Dremel tool so any help with tweaks, mods or add-ons for these tools would be a help as well.

Went dumpster diving at a local home improvement center and got enough quality particle board for three wrapper stations and enough roller stands to make even me happy. Just need to figure out how to wire electric motors properly and I am good to go.

You guys (and girls I am happy to see) are the best.

Derek
Rohnert Park, CA

p.s. Sory 4 the terible tiping

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Grips
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 12:18AM

He Derek,

Might try this for colored stain:
[www.woodcraft.com]

For some free wood that sometimes has some good wood with grain look at shipping pallets.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 12:21AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:57AM

You can bore rings through basswood planks, but that leaves the outer grip surface as end grain. Might not be what you want. Why not just turn a grip from a basswood square?

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:13AM

I know ahout the hazards of end grain like you describe and won't go there again. I want to avoid turning from basswood sticks as I don't have a lathe yet and smooting or the corners is a little tough without one, and I can smooth a grip made of ring by hand if I have to.

THanks for the input.

Derek

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:15AM

I doubt if you can buy paint pigment a whole lot cheaper than Miniwax stain. Tru-oil is more expensive than the stain, as I recall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:18AM

You'd have to resaw planks cutting across the grain and then bore those. That would create lengthwise grain along the grip surface. I supposed you could shape it by hand, although it will be time consuming.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.47.97.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:43AM

Derek,
I have been thinking along the same lines you are and for very similar reasons,
If you could find two inch diameter dowels, you could make rings with the grain along the axis of the grip. You could also find two inch square "posts" and cut slabs from them to form rings from. This is a lot more bother, but might work until you can get a lathe. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 02:13PM

You might try looking at hobby stores sometimes they have large selections of
Balsa wood including dowels.
Would suggest ones that carry wood model airplane type stuff.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 07:05PM

Since your making split grips you should be able to turn them right on your hand drill and drill bit and a 4 inch piece of all thread with nuts. Between file and sandpaper you should have few problems. That's how I started turning cork initially. Work on both ends by mounting that side closest to the chuck and the middle will take care of itself as you shape each end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster