I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hobbypoxy
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:22PM

I bought some HobbyPoxy quite a few years ago from Merrick...I forget why I bought it.(probablly just to have it) Does anyone use this stuff? Know about it or its potential usefullness in rodbuilding? Its a two part of some kind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hobbypoxy
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:31PM

If my old brain has is still working, I believe that is the same stuff that Clemens used in his shop. Just repackaged with his name on it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:37PM

Klass Kote makes a similar product. More of an epoxy paint than an epoxy casting resin, which is what the rest of the popular finishes really are.

Date: January 22, 2006 06:04PM

I thought it smelt familiar...thanks for your responses.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 06:19PM

The Hobby Poxy is the RC and Control Line Airplane Modeler's choice of two part epoxy made in California. It is available at any model shop that sells model planes. It comes in 5 minute, 15 minute and long lasting versions in four oz bottles. I would assume it is a standard epoxy system that would work quite well for those who use Two Ton and similar products. It is very high priced compared to what our craft line vendors charge.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 06:49PM

I happend on a vendor that had some remaining old stock of Hobby Poxy two part epoxy enamel paint - I bought all he had. This epoxy paint is super tough, flexible, does not chip or yellow, and is fuel proof. Great coating for rods, have not found anything better. I bought enough Part A black and clear, plus the part B hardener, to last me a lifetime. Unfotunately a few years back the federal government outlawed the manufature of these two part paints because they contain ???? (I can't remember, but it is supposedly bad).

I use an airbrush to apply the paint on blanks.

Lou

Date: January 22, 2006 06:56PM

Probablly Xylol or MEK...good stuff.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 22, 2006 07:52PM

Would these be similar to what KlassKote has in the epoxy paint line? You use that for guide wraps too, right?

Jay

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 09:31PM

You can use it as a thread wrap finish but it is VERY thin. So thin I'd just rather use Permagloss instead since it will be harder and much more flexible.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:11AM

I use Klass Kote almost exclusively for thread wraps on graphite rods. You can put on the first coat, then thin the remaining mixture with a bit of thinner and cover with Saran Wrap. Put it in the fridge. After 4 hours you can put on the second and final coat from the same batch. They make it in colors too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster