I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to replace guides?
Posted by: Dave Scranton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:20PM

i have been asked by a friend to replace some guides on a casting rod and i have a rod that i want to replace the real seat and handle. how do i remove the guides (Graphite rod) and the real seat also on a graphite rod? thanks guys this is a great site

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to replace guides?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:32PM

First thing to consider on these "all the way" repairs/re-dos is this: Can I buy the same or similar blank and start over? Your labor stripping the old one and starting over is easily covered by the price of all but the very most expensive blanks.

Still wanna tackle it?

Cut the thread on top of the feet of the guides with a razor blade (don't cut where the blank may be accidentally cut into) and work the guides out of the split wrap. You'll be able to find a tag end of the remaining thread and unwind the rest of it. Use a bit of heat and your fingernail or a plastic picnic knife and scrape off the old finish carefully. If it had CP on the guide wrap, this'll be real easy. If just epoxy was used, it's gonna be a chore!

Lots of ways to do the reel seat. A search will show cutting the blank and replacing the reel seat while using a piece of blank glued in to "splice" the old blank back together. Others boil the old reel seat off.

You'll get more responses, I'm gonna go back to the football game... LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Scranton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:34PM

the guides and reel seat are actualy on 2 different rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:42PM

Since your going at the reelseat and grips you can strip everything off and start new, or strip off the grips and reelseat and mount eveything from the back with arbors as the taper of the blank is going to require your holes to be the diameter of the blank butt to pass back on. Everything will be loose and oversized on the blank.The grips come right off with a sharp knife skinning them off like filetting a fish. Don't cut the blank. The reelseat can be hacksawed off with your cut at an angle like a barber pole around from top to bottom and than use a screwdriver in the cut to twist and pry it off. Don't cut the blank. Either way as Putter said you really got to like that blank as the work and money involved is just about as much as needed to start from scratch.

Posted by: dave Scranton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:53PM

ok, thanks for the info so far. I have the reel seat and grips off but now i need to know how to add some length to the butt section so i can use a longer grip. Can I use a woodedn dowl? or do I need to use something else? the rod is graphite and i need the longer grip as this rod is going to be a trolling rod for walleye fishing. it only need about 3-4 inches added to it. thanks again, Dave

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 12:03AM

I'd use a scrap piece of rod blank and find a piece that will fit over, preferably, but I've done many that go inside the blank and extend out, too. Don't use a wooden dowel, though. Trust me on that. Been there over 20 years ago and done that-they come back pretty quickly... :(

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster