I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

chuck
Posted by: Rod Engel (---.gw.rrv.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:45AM

Good morning all, I recently purchased and installed the new updated chuck for my Pac Bay powerwrapper. When rotating at high speed the chuck loosens. I contacted Pac Bay and was told they hadn't run in to the problem before. Anybody out there having the same problem? If so, has anybody found a solution? Thanks in advance, Rod Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chuck
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:17AM

Hi Ron,

The new chuck you got is a RW-1/DX-CHK-SPTG (or SPTS) correct? I'm assuming that the motor/chuck is on the left side of the wrapper as you look at it. What is the rotation of the chuck clockwise or counter clockwise?

I have one of those chucks and know of several builders that have the same chuck and I havn't heard of any problems like you're describing. The reason I'm asking about rotation is if the setup is correct I'd say you must have a defective chuck.

The only other thing I can think of is the little rubber pads that slide on the 3 arms. If even one of them is put on wrong it can make the chuck loosen up. Possibly using the wrong pads for the blank or mixed an the pads (not all 3 pads the same).

Hope this helps.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 11:30AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:59AM

Hi Ron,

I've run into similar problems when turning Hypalon grips with mine at high speed, but have been able to correct it by just starting over. I loosen the chuck, rotate the rod a 1/4 turn in the jaws, re-tighten the jaws and REALLY tighten the wingnut/locknut behind the chuck. This always seems to eliminate the slippage.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 22, 2006 12:45PM

Because I wrap from right to left with the rod turning away from me I moved the motors to the right side of the wrapper. This being the case, do you fellas feel rotation is causing the problem? Thanks, Rod Engel

Date: January 22, 2006 01:12PM

Ron,

I think that's your problem. The chuck on that wrapper has to be turning in a clockwise rotation to stay tight so if your motor is on the right it has to be turning towards you to be clockwise. This chuck's setup is just opposite from what a wood lathe turns. I had the same problem as you when I first got my power wrapper - it was setup backwards from what I learned on so I had to readjust myself to the new wrapper.

Other than changing the wrapper back to the original setup I don't know what you can do. Maybe someone else has an answer.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: January 22, 2006 02:12PM

Thanks for the replies. After 24 years of wrapping one way it will be a challenge to change but maybe an old dog can learn a new trick. Rod

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 02:14PM

Rod,
Wrapping from either side doesn't really make a difference. My American Tackle wrapper's chuck would also loosen frequently especially on the larger saltwater rods. Finally broke down and bought the Renzetti. Best money I ever spent. Randy.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 02:35PM

Hi Rod,
I have an Am-Tak wrapper with the Pac-Bay aluminum chuck upgrade and have the same problem
as you even though I have the motor and chuck mounted on the left side and turning clockwise as
designed. I solved the problem with a thick rubberband around the jaws and so far it has worked fine
but I don't do much high speed turning either.

Good Luck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:03PM

You mean to tell me that after paying $100 for an "upgraded" chuck to replace poorly designed chuck, you still have to use a rubber band to "fix" it???? Maybe someone will come out with a $150 upgrade to fix the $100 upgrade that was supposed to fix a $300 lathe with a bad chuck!!!!
Amazing!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:37PM

Sometimes I wonder about the claims of "quality" in advertizing! It's been said,
you get what you pay for! I'm just very glad I didn't pay retail for my chuck. In fact
I think I got a very good deal as I bought the aluminum chuck, the old plastic chuck,
and extra belts for about $80 and the seller also sent an extra wrapping motor and
dryer moter assembly for free! I made a post on the Buy/Sell page here and was
contacted in no time! Even with the rubber band needed I'm still a very happy camper
but I would have been much better if the chucked worked correctly in the first place.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 22, 2006 05:31PM

I have to agree with Mike. $100 is a lot for something that needs rubber bands to make it work.
Ken Preston and Myself have experienced the same problem. I will be moving everything to the right side of the wrapper to over come this. So far I have only experienced the problem when shaping cork grips. Other than that it's turned a pretty ordinary wrapper into something I can live with.

Date: January 22, 2006 06:22PM

Hi Mike & Myles,

I have the same chuck and turn most of my handles (Cork & Eva) on the blank and have never had the chuck loosen up once. Now the first chucks that was on the wrapper and their dryers would loose up all the time. I use to use a rubberband on them to keep them from coming loose. But you can't blame the chuck when it's being turned in reverse like Rod is doing with his wrapper.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 22, 2006 07:40PM

Hank I think this must be how they pole the motors in China, their quality control may vary. Mine definitely rotates the chuck the wrong way, saying this I never had the old plastic one come loose. Only got the wobbles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster