I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smooth as glass finishes
Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:57AM

hello and good morning,
i need some help on the technique of applying finish. i use f/c high build and like it pretty well, but i have also been hearing alot about thread master. by the way where do you buy thread master? anyway i have read books and watched videos on applying finish. some say have the rod turning slow, some say a little faster. i have also been hearing alot about spatulas. could any of ya'll give me some tips on what works best for you. it sure would be appreciated. i just want my rods to look and be the best possible. thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smooth as glass finishes
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 05:28AM

David,
I used flexcoat for years....However, threadmaster is the best I have ever seen. You can buy it from Andy Dear. Lamar Reel Seats on you left. I use a spatula but I guess the best advice I can offer is do what is best for you. Practice on scrap blanks and go with what you feel is the best. You will get a lot of different techniques and they are all good if they work for them.
Good luck,

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Date: January 22, 2006 06:38AM

thanks big john,
i have finished a few rods using brushes, although i am always looking for a better way to go, with better results. your help is much appreciated.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2006 09:15AM

Any of the popular thread epoxy thread finishes will produce a perfectly level, glass smooth finish. There is a good article on the online library page by Rich Forhan that details good finishing habits and the next issue of RodMaker will have a detailed article on some do's and don'ts that will help as well.

For the most part, all these finishes try to give you a smooth, level finish, but many of the things rod builders do to them tend to prevent this from happening.

Posted by: Roger Williams (---.87.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 09:52AM

David, Check out www.hisrodshop.com/spatula.pdf. Joe Kassuba has a great tutorial on using a spatula to apply finish. It will answer all of your questions. You will need Adobe Reader to view it. Joe has the spatula for sale on his site and the're only $10.Hope you will find this helpful.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:12AM

You can use just about anything to apply epoxy. You can use a brush to apply it, but you'll have a tendancy to actually brush it on...hey it's a natural reflex. I try to use spatulas so that I don't have that urge to brush.

To turn or not to turn during application? This runs the gammot. You can simply apply the epoxy while your rod is sitting on rollers and turn it by hand just enough to be all sides covered. That works fine. OR you can put the rod on a motor and turn it as much as 200 rpm to apply the epoxy. I'd say that goes from one extreme to the other. The point is you can do it either way or any way in between. It's all what you are comfortable with and what gives you the better final product.

Jay

Posted by: Greg Wegener (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:16AM

I use a 1/4" wide camel hair brush, I "load up" brush with finish and (band) the finish on threads and rotate at 40Rpm. This high rpm gets a spin dry affect and even and smooth distribution around the thread. This is been working so good with threadmaster, that my last two rods received one coat. This cuts down on weight also, on the light walleye rods I make here in WI

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.mcqueensfurniture.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 12:03PM

Hey Greg, what supplier did you get the 40 rpm from? I've been looking for one. Thanks!

Jay

Posted by: Greg Wegener (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 01:21PM

I ordered it on my custom wrapper, Where I work, we make Large Carbon Fiber Rolls, which are very alike to a rod blank, we apply our epoxy by spaying, but dry them at high RPM's, this gives you a smooth as glass finish, these rolls are from 1''OD to 20" OD and are used in the printing industry.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 01:41PM

Jay, Just sent you an e-mail
Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 03:50PM

Jay - they used to have them at allelectronics.com. I'm sure they wondered why they sold so many in a 2 month period, lol. So many people posted here a couple of years ago that we bought them all out.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 04:44PM

Something else.....make sure your rod is perfectly level. I use a bubble style carpenters level on every rod to get it perfectly level before I start the epoxy process.

One nice even coat, 2nd coat to cover/fill the next day. My 1st coat coversfills most of the thread wraps but not all and goes just TO the egde of the thread. Once on, I heat the 1st coat a little to help it "soak" into the thread wraps. The 2nd coat I take past the threads, that 2nd coat fills and covers everything. I use a cheap-o brush and use lengthwise strokes on my coats once I get the epoxy on the wrap.

Mine are not perfect 100% of the time, but in rod builders eye's-mine at least-they never will be "perfect". If I ever get "perfect" I might have to quit rodbuilding :)

DR

epoxy while turning
Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 04:11PM

This may be a stupid question, but I hear so many people putting finish on while the rod is spining . Can anyone actually put finish on a double footed guide while the rod is spinning at the said 40 rpm's. If so, how in the world do you get it all covered.

Date: January 24, 2006 11:42PM

hi all,
i just wanted to thank you all for your input. i found out several things i was doing wrong, which is why i was having so much trouble. first i wasn't warming up my finish which was a BIG problem. second i was trying to put on too thick of a coat, which was another Big problem. i warmed my finish up by having it in my pocket for a while, and then i applied thin coats. man what a difference these 2 things made. the wrap really looks good. thanks for all your help and input. it really made the difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster