I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I've read a lot of posts on butt guides..but one question
Posted by: Eric Dotseth (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 10:49AM

I am currently setting up a spinning rod using Fuji BYAG guides and this is the first time I have encountered this problem. NGC primer suggests the butt guide be at least one half the diameter of the reel spool and normally placed 17-23 inches from spool.

Which of these two is most important in performance of the rod? Using Tom's method, a BYAG 25 is the proper ring size for a 42mm spool, but this guide aligns with the straightedge at about 15 inches. A BYAG 20 falls within the 17-23 in. range, but is smaller than one half the spool diameter.

Even if the 20 shows a shorter casting distance, would it not be better to go with it because the 25 needs to be so far back? Or would it be better to have the line split the ring (and therefore fall within the 17-23in) on the 25?

I am just sort of looking for what the hierarchy is when it comes to making tradeoffs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I've read a lot of posts on butt guides..but one question
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:01PM

Eric,

Only one way to tell for sure is to tape the guides on and take it outside and test cast the rod with the reel and line you plan on using. You then can move the butt guide forward and back a bit until you find the sweet spot. It may take changing guide sizes. Only you will know how well it does after casting. At least you will know that you have it placed in the best possible position eliminating any doubts.

Tight lines,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Re: I've read a lot of posts on butt guides..but one question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:09PM

What size line are you using? Less than about 10 or so, I'd use the 20. More than that and I'd use the 25.

Frame height is generally more important than ring size.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster