I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky blank
Posted by: jeremy airey (---.bl.uk)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:08AM

Hello Chaps
I wonder if I could enlist your help on finding the following blank.
I'm looking for a 6 foot, 1piece composite blank casting upto around 4/5 oz.
If possible I'd prefer a stiffish 'throughish' rather than a 'fast' action and with shedloads of power in the butt. Rod needs to be stiff so I can get that 'walk-the-dog' action on my 'stickbaits'.
Apart from the odd pike jerkbaiting/heavy soft plastic session I would be using this rod for chucking heavy stickbaits, eg Odessy Pigs, at tropical, reef dwelling thugs like GT.
Casting distance isn't usually too critical but having a short, nicely balanced rod that tucks under your arm is key (IMO) to getting good lure action and rythym going.
Please note I'm a UK based Brit.
I really would appreciate your help as the UK is a little short on this kind of stuff.
regards
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.189.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:13AM

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:29AM

6 foot? You may have to enlist the aid of some saltwater guys there. I can't think of any 6' Muskie blanks off the top of my head. So the selection may be very limited. Long is the norm and even 6'6" is a pretty short rod. You can't effectively figure-8 with a short rod. You may have to get a 6'6" model and cut it down.

Check the St. Croix Premier line. I know they've got a pretty wide range of blanks in that line. Forecast might be one to check too. Seems as though when I've been looking for Muskie blanks I've felt that the models that looked interesting to me from them were too short. But then again I'm typically looking for 7' and up.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: January 19, 2006 10:25AM

Biil and Matt
Thanks for the replies.
I did a little searching on various blankmakers websites and longer is definately the trend at the moment.
I like the sound of the 'Rainshadow' blank at x-heavy and 6'3" but can anybody tell me a little more about the firm?
One question is do there blanks have a reputation for 'toughness' under fire as this is a major requirement in this form of fishing - GT take NO prisoners If I tell you my other 2 GT/tropical rods are built on Lamiglass Tri-Flex blanks you'll maybe egt an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.
The main duty of these rods is to work and cast heavy stickbaits and fight Gt on pretty heavy drags and a fair amount of clamping down.
Matt: I have to say figure-8ing a GT sounds like a REAL rush - seriously cool - but in practice the opportunity will not arise often.
The fishing scenario is to have 2 rods set-up - one an 8.5' rod with a Stella 20000 fixed spool and a popper type lure plus another shorter rod with a big 'walk-the-dog' type stickbait or maybe a large soft plastic grub/swimbait.
regards again
Jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.69.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 10:59AM

Look for there phone number on there site and give them a call. They will give you suggestions on a blank to use., nice people.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 19, 2006 01:30PM

www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
BATSON ENTERPRISES DEALER
RAINSHADOW SURF RODS
FORECAST BOAT RODS

Jeremy - right now, Robert Tignor at FS4U has several Close-Out pricing sales going on, at ~30% off his already very fair prices. Take a look for yourself. I don't know about overseas shipping, but the 30% off sale should take a big bite out of that cost for you. There are several nice MUSKY / SALTWATER Models on sale in an "Olive-Green" finish. I am not completly sure about this, but from the color sample in the Catalog, the color looks closer to a nice rich emerald green than a sallow yellowish olive, and seems to have a hard clear glossy overcoat, which must look great if the sample square is accurate. RS has a reputation for strength & performance at a value price. • Limited Lifetime Warranty

Rainshadow RX7 Musky / Saltwater Rod Blanks (Olive Green) [www.fishsticks4u.com]

RainShadow RS-RX7 Graphite: IMU827G ... IMU-82"-7-G : Olive Green
6'10" 1-pc 25-50lb. ... 1-5oz. ... 0.760" ... 9.0 / 64ths
Fast ... Hvy ... 3.70oz. ... US-$65.00 less 30% = ~$46 (at FS4U)

FS4U also has AMERICAN TACKLE Products in addition to the entire line of Batson, so those TITAN Guides (Turbo, NIA, NIV, NIC and NIF) are worth looking at as well. Good luck, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
www.fishsticks4u.com
Owner: Robert TIGNOR
Partner: Captain Ray BROWN
Associate: Kevin P. SMITH

Robert Tignor ... (804) 746-0053 ...
Best Bet / Home Office: (804) 746-9711 ...

Robert Tignor
Fishsticks, Inc.
7268 Arrow Stone Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
(804) 746-0053

Date: January 23, 2006 03:47AM

Thanks chaps
I get in touch with this guy
regards
Jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster