I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

clean up syringe
Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 04:13PM

My pharmacist gave me two new clear syringes. I am going to mix 3 cc of Thread Master. What do you guys use for the clean out of these epoxy syringes? Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clean up syringe
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 04:20PM

If you keep the syringes seperated and use them exclusively for resin or hardner you don't need to clean them out, just wipe off the tips of them with alcohol. Also there are some good posts on this 1 just recently, do a search and you will get all the info you can possibly use on this subject.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 05:27PM

Steven:
Be careful I work for a medical Co. and took some syringes home to mix epoxy and found out that they have silicone in them and it caused my finish to get fish eyes.

Allen Madsen
San Jose, CA.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2006 05:29PM

Be careful of those pharmacy syringes. If there is silicone on the rubber plungers you will be in for some nasty surprises. This is quite common on syringes not made nor supplied for the express purpose of use with adhesives and finishes.

Scott is correct, don't bother cleaning them, just eject the epoxy component, pull the plunger back up half way, and wipe off the tip. Other than that, just make sure you don't get them mixed up. One is for resin and one is for hardener.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 06:44PM

Barring any problems with silicone...I simply drill a hole in the cap of my resin and hardener just large enough to gently 'force' the syringe tip into. This is where I store my syringes...right in the bottle cap. When I need epoxy I simply turn the bottle upside down and draw out what I need. The syringe fits in tightly enough for the resin/hardener to not leak out when upside down.

Jay

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 06:50PM

I recently picked up a pair of syringes sold specifically for rodbuilding finishes distributed by a popular manufacturer. Both the syringes had a liquid type "silicone" in them...I was actually able to put some on my fingers in liquid form. I'd recommend cleaning and checking ALL new syringes regardless of where they come from.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 08:59PM

The Trondak syringes are two piece syringes and do not contain a rubber piston which needs lubricatiing, and is the source of the silicone in other syringes. As far as I know we are the only supplier using these syringes. The are available from most or our distributors.

Ralph

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:51PM

Mike,

The Flex Coat syringes do have a lube on the plungers, but it's not silicone. I have no idea if these are the ones you're talking about or not, but if so, that dab of lube isn't silicone and won't cause you any problems.

I switched over to the U-40 syringes a few years back but have used many of the Flex Coat models over the years with zero problems.

Date: January 18, 2006 10:07PM

Ralph...It wasn't a Trondak/U-40 set of syringes I was refering too....

Steve, when I saw this, I wasn't about to drive another 100 miles roundtrip for a new set, so I cleaned the syringes out with warm water and dish soap..rinsed things down with Isoproplyl and let dry...(repeated steps). After these steps I felt confident enough to use these syringes with my favorite finish.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:16PM

Michael,
I have attempted to clean the Flex Coat syringes with the rubber plungers with a little alcohol and Tom is no doubt right about them being lubricated with something because they will not work after cleaning them. The plunger hangs up and does not move smoothly after being cleaned.

Ralph,
Your syringes need to be color coded to match the color coded bottles of epoxy like the Flex Coat syringes and epoxy bottles so morons like me will not mix them up. I have done this at least half a dozen times. The paper stickers on your syringes come off when used a lot and make a sticky mess.

Andy Dear
I would also like to see the same color coding on the Threadmaster bottles and syringes as the Flex Coat bottles syringes. Just to make life simple for a moron.

BLUE FOR THE RESIN AND YELLOW FOR THE HARDENER

Date: January 18, 2006 10:17PM

Tom, this was the first time I've had anything "ooze" out of a Flex Coat syringe.(sure didn't look right to me...???) Good to know it isn't a lubricant that would cause harm to a finish....you use anything these days in rodbuilding with the words "lubricant" or "silicone", and an alarm just has to go off.

Date: January 18, 2006 10:30PM

Emory...after cleaning those syringes, they weren't working very well at all..I guess the lubricant IS good, I just didn't expect the stuff on my fingers when I opened the package (a first for me)...so I "primed" them with Flex Coat to get them moving "slicker than %$#@" then dipped them into the ThreadMaster finish...

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 05:58AM

Something I have done with the syringes with the paper labels. First time you use them, put a bit of leftover finish over the labels on the syringe barrels and they will stay there forever.

Posted by: Richard O'Mara (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 10:07AM

I am going to add my 2 cents worth here. I am an occasional Flex Coat user, and I have always had a hard time getting the syringes operational again after sitting around for a while.I just used them the other day, and I thought...why not clean them out with an Acetone rinse after using, and clean the outside of the tips, and then dry and leave the plunger out. After reading this post this morning, I decided to get the syringes out and try them. I tried to insert the "dry" plungers into their respected tubes...they wouldn't go...I tried dipping the rubber tips into clean Acetone, and wetting them. I then found that the plunger and tube worked smoothly. So from now on after each use they will be cleaned with Acetone, and the plungger rubbers wetted before use. We all know that Acetone is used as a thinner for Flex Coat......

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 11:02AM

Michael, Mick, Richard
Good ideas. I am going to try them. I have just been throwing the syringes away when they did not work smoothly anymore.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:41PM

Emory Harry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Ralph,
> Your syringes need to be color coded to match the
> color coded bottles of epoxy like the Flex Coat
> syringes and epoxy bottles so morons like me will
> not mix them up. I have done this at least half a
> dozen times. The paper stickers on your syringes
> come off when used a lot and make a sticky
> mess.
>
> Andy Dear
> I would also like to see the same color coding on
> the Threadmaster bottles and syringes as the Flex
> Coat bottles syringes. Just to make life simple
> for a moron.
>
> BLUE FOR THE RESIN AND YELLOW FOR THE HARDENER

This is yet another good reason for keeping the syringes in the bottle caps themselves. No need to worry which one goes where. Only use one at a time and put it back immediately after using. No muss no fuss and you know what is what.

Another thing is the U40 syringes w/o rubber plungers. Use them & forget about all others!!!!!!! No need to worry about lubrication, drying out, or cleaning after use. I have my syringes in the caps of my finish bottles and I swear I haven't cleaned them in a couple of years. I have used the same syringes and caps for quite a while now. When I pop open new bottles of epoxy I just switch out the new caps for my old caps that contain my syringes.

By the way I have looked at a supplier or two for the U40 syringes and can't find them. Who carries just the syringes...I'd like to have a backup set just in case. Thanks!

Jay

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 06:48PM

Richard
You can buy them from Trondak or any of our distributors. I believe most if not all the distributors handle the syringes. They are listed in our catalogue.
Ralph

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 07:20PM

I have a set of the Flex coat ones that I have used and used, never once cleaned them.

Just draw up the needed amount and after releasing it wipe off the syringes with alcohol-seperate alcohol rag for each!-and place a piece of regular masking tape on the end and wrap it up tight on each one. The tiny bit of hardner and resin leftover in each syringe acts as a lubricant next time you use them. Just take off the tape and work the plunger a time or two and they are ready to go.

I do like the idea of the U-40's ....might give'um a try if the FC ones ever wear out :)

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster